Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary 16th Battalion Sherwood Foresters

I have available, small sections of the war diary for the period 17th August 1917 to 16th November 1917 and 27th February 1918 to 27th April 1918. Extracts available to requesting members. In addition, if you have other war diary extracts for 16th, please let me know.

post-12425-1175412459.gif

Morning Sad Act(?),

I have an interest in the following chap from the 16th so would be very interested to trace the Bn movements just prior to his death.

BCS - B - St M

Wilkinson Stanley Willis

Private 72226 Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment) 16th

KIA Aged 19 24/10/1917

Enlisted Newcastle

Born Barnard Castle

Memorials Barnard Castle County School, Bowes Musuem, St Marys Church & Tyne Cot Memorial

Son of Mrs. S.J. Wilkinson, of Portland Square, King St., Barnard Castle, Co. Durham.

Many thanks,

Jarvis

I have an interest in the following chap from the 16th

Wilkinson Stanley Willis

Private 72226 Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment) 16th

Jarvis,

Just out of interest - do you know whether Stanley served with any other unit prior to the 16th Battn?

Its just that the N & D Regt seemed have used the 7**** numbers for moving Soldiers from TF Battns to Regular or Service Battns - I notice that SDGW gives him a Regt number of 2226, which seems a TF number to me.

By the way I have the 16th Battn History scanned - do you want a copy of the relevant chapter(s) - same offer to Sad Act of course :)

Mike

Jarvis,

Just out of interest - do you know whether Stanley served with any other unit prior to the 16th Battn?

Its just that the N & D Regt seemed have used the 7**** numbers for moving Soldiers from TF Battns to Regular or Service Battns - I notice that SDGW gives him a Regt number of 2226, which seems a TF number to me.

By the way I have the 16th Battn History scanned - do you want a copy of the relevant chapter(s) - same offer to Sad Act of course :)

Mike

Mike you are a God. I would welcome the scanned data - thanks.

Dave

Dave, thank you for the Diary extract, I'm hoping to use it towards a brief story on the man.

Mike, thanks also for your offer. I am specifically interested in the dates close to his death.

I have not researched him well enough yet to have found a previous unit. As you point out SDGW gives his number as 2226 whilst CWGC gives 72226 !

Jarvis

Sad Act

On the assumption that'd be OK with you, I'm asking a moderator to move the thread to the "war diary depositary" section of the Forum where, I reckon, more folk will find your look-up offer.

If a problem, please ask the mods not to act.

Dave

I have it as a .PDF copy.

In total it is 22Mb, but I've split it into 7 sections ranging from 1 - 6Mb. If that's not a problem for your e-mail then PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it that way. If its too big then I can drop onto a CD and post.

The text is grand, but the images are not too hot. I can re-scan them and send as .jpgs (or .tiffs) if there are any that you woud like (there are some good Company pictures)

cheers

Mike

Hmmm, the old chestnut. Mike and I have bandied this about before!

Mike offers one very likely suggestion, but here's another. The 7**** series is also full of men from other regiments transferred into the Notts and Derbys - Leicesters, ASC, Northamptonshires, Essex, South Staffs to name a few.

I don't have enough data to be certain, but the TF shuffling seems to have occurred mainly within the 705** - 708** range. The 72*** series seems to contain many transfers in, such as from the ASC.

The SDGW 2226 number could well be nothing more significanty than one of its regular transcription errors - very easy to leave a 7 off.

(I'm sure this helps a bundle!! :blink::lol: )

Good idea John - it's good that you are around to tell me what to do!

To Doc Repository we go......

The SDGW 2226 number could well be nothing more significanty than one of its regular transcription errors - very easy to leave a 7 off.

oh yes, I feel a bit of an ejit now :rolleyes:

here is my 708** offer

all 1/6th Battn men

2521 Astle to 70800

4309 Bestwick to 70803

4433 Joel to 70804

3277 Knill to 70805

3046 Phillips to 70806

4148 Palmer to 70807

Fits your suggested scheme. Graham Stewart sent me the relevant ACI and it seems that numbers were issued in blocks of 1000 so its likely that the different bocks were used for different types of transfers perhaps.

Anyway this is straying off the topic subject. When I get back from NA I'll start a 7**** thread for all of us SF number anoracks :P

When I get back from NA I'll start a 7**** thread for all of us SF number anoracks :P

Phwoar...

post-150-1175548225.jpg

wow - pea green was always my favourite colour too :P

• 11 years later...

Looking for war diary data covering Feb to Aoril 1918.
Cpl David Brain 18668, a sniper of 9SF appears to have been attached to 16SF, and was severely wounded 26/3/18 in the vicinity of Peronne(?) according to his wound record.

GBM_WO363-4_007270767_01006.jpg

Edited by Guest
correctin of location

Here for £3.50 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8658246 - should also be available via Ancestry if yo uhave a subscription or can access via your local library.

• 1 year later...
On 01/04/2007 at 03:27, Guest said:

I have available, small sections of the war diary for the period 17th August 1917 to 16th November 1917 and 27th February 1918 to 27th April 1918. Extracts available to requesting members. In addition, if you have other war diary extracts for 16th, please let me know.

I have this photograph of Lieutenant Conway John Hart who was killed in action with the 16th Battalion on 10 October 1916 at the Schwaben Redoubt.  Are his actions mentioned in the war diary that you have on hand?

Sherwood Foresters.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 01/04/2007 at 03:27, Guest said:

I am looking for information regarding the action in which 72484 Private Charles Cain, 16th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters was killed on 23 April 1918.  Any help with be greatly appreciated.

11 minutes ago, sapper5 said:

I am looking for information regarding the action in which 72484 Private Charles Cain, 16th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters was killed on 23 April 1918.  Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

"Guest" means that the poster is no longer a member of the forum and no current contact details are held for them.

The UK National Archives are currently offering free downloads of War Diaries - you just need to register for an account if you don't already have one, and you can do this as part of your first order.

The War Diary covering March 1916 to June 1919 for the 16th Sherwood Foresters is this one: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8658246

However the indexing at the National Archive includes this which is of relevance to your latest request "16 Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment): for Apr 1918 diary see 3 Composite Battalion, Composite Brigade (WO 95/2587)"

I think that is this one https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8658249

Hope that helps,

Peter

Just now, PRC said:

Hi,

"Guest" means that the poster is no longer a member of the forum and no current contact details are held for them.

The UK National Archives are currently offering free downloads of War Diaries - you just need to register for an account if you don't already have one, and you can do this as part of your first order.

The War Diary covering March 1916 to June 1919 for the 16th Sherwood Foresters is this one: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8658246

However the indexing at the National Archive includes this which is of relevance to your latest request "16 Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment): for Apr 1918 diary see 3 Composite Battalion, Composite Brigade (WO 95/2587)"

I think that is this one https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8658249

Hope that helps,

Peter

Thanks you, Peter.