Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What happens when I die?

Graeme Fisher

Not wanting to be morbid, but.....

If anything untoward happened to one of us, would our families and friends know what to do with the years of accumulated information that we've got lying around, unfinished research, notes, pictures, books?

Should we be leaving some instruction for its disposal, because I'm sure that there's a lot of valuable information (as well as collections of insignia, medals and stuff) that may well benefit others.

In fact, I'm sure that the research that some of you have done must be of significant historical importance.

So, Pals, where do we leave it?

To whom do we entrust it?

Would anyone want it?

It depends upon the nature of the research. If, for instance, it documents a particular unit, then that unit's archive or museum would generally be the first port of call.

Whatever the subject matter though, please ensure that its future care is assured, and it is readily accesible to the researchers who follow in your footsteps. The national institutions, such as the IWM, Army Museum, National Maritime Museum etc will have the expertise to care, catalogue and store your research, and make it available to researchers. I would suggest that their advice should be sought in the first instance, before you offer it elsewhere. Also, please read carefully any paperwork that is wafted before you prior to handing over any material.

Fortunately in my instance my son, Andrew, age 21, has laid claim to everything from records to books when the time comes. I have outlines my records, projects, etc. so that nothing should be lost.

Unlike many of the researchers in England with regimental museums, local interest, etc. there is not much call for German research either here in the U.S. or in Germany,

It is something I wondered about before my son made it quite clear that he wanted it all, I wondered how they were going to stuff everything in my coffin as I was going to take it with me despite the old saying.

Ralph

Hi

All my research and all the medal's+ cap badge's + photo's of the men will go to the Ox. & Bucks. Light Infantry museum at Oxford when I go

Cheers

Brian

I'll be leaving mine to the local archive office (West Glamorgan). With all due respect in my experience they offer a standard of service that most regimental museums (being mostly voluntary) cannot compete with. It will also keep the records (re the Swansea Battalion in this case) in the locality to which they are most relevant.

Otherwise researchers would have to go to regimental museum at Cardiff - a 50 mile trip from Swansea - not especially convenient for people from the Bn 'home' town.

Only proviso is that not all archive offices have the backing that West Glam does so a bit of research/visiting to check might be useful.

Bernard Lewis

Graeme,

There's nothing to stop you having mutilple copies of your research so it can be deposited in several different archives.

Depending on the focus of your research the following could be candidates;

local family history societies, local museums, regimental museums, county archives etc, as well as the "big boys" ARmy Museum, IWM and co.

Jim

This is something that has had me pondering many times in the past, not really from my research but more from how much critical info etc has gone to the bin yard when we could all have benefitted from its content. There is much I want to learn about General Forestier-Walker, but his papers were destroyed after his death!!!!Ahh,

At my recent WFA meeting (said like a veteran of many, not the two i have been too.) I spoke to a chap whose name escapes me. he has a diary of a relative who was in the marine infantry or it might have been artillery for most of 1915 whilst at Gallipoli. It has he says some really interesting comments and such like. He keeps contemplating doing something with it but like I do often looses interest in a project and doesnt follow it through.

Where will it go eventually and how much has passed away with its owner never to be seen again?

There must be so much, what appears to many irrelevant info, accumilated by just the people on this forum that may pass away with its owner that its scary. In Twenty years someone maybe cursing that they can find no info on Private Tommy Atkins..etc..etc...etc.

Scary..

Arm.

Because family members usually do not have the necessary knowledge to deal with this type of material I would suggest that a collector should find a trusted friend in the hobby and discuss with them how you wish to dispose of your research and collectables and then make sure the family knows how to contact that friend if something happens to you. Regards. Dick Flory

Bury me with it !! Only joking

My collection of cap badges of the regiments the men from my old school belonged to, will be left to the school.

The rest of it I would leave to the relevant museums/libraries, in the vain hope that someone in the future can get some benefit.

Although I am hoping that at only 28 I don't have to worry about this for some time to come!

As various projects are written up and completed might I suggest that you arrange for a copy to be deposited NOW at your County Record Office/Regimental Museum. etc. Piles of paperwork are particulary vulnerable to clearout by families of deceased!

Collections of all sorts of artifacts should be listed anyhow for insurance purposes -if you had a burglary would you know exactly what had been taken? That sort of inventory can form part of your will (hoping that you are not one of the 70% (odd) of people who don't have one!) and make it much easier for your executors to be sure that your wishes have been carried out.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Everything about my family is staying within the family, all my photographs (4,286) at the last count will be auctioned off. Everything else will be bequethed to museums etc.

Ian