Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Painting of sentry with umbrella

Andrew Upton

I'm trying to track down a painting I can recall seeing an image of a number of years ago, depicting a British sentry (or sentry's) in a front line trench, carrying an umbrella to protect himself from the elements. I haven't had any success with Google - does anyone have the faintest idea of the picture I mean???

Thanks in advance.

Not familiar with the painting, but John Laffin's, The Western Front Illustrated (0-7509-1438-6), contains the well-published illustration by S. Begg of two 1916 Tommies with umbrellas. One is passing through the trench and another sitting on the fire step and reading a book. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan

Only one I recall was a cartoon from Bruce Bairnsfather.

Ralph

Interesting, do you happen to have a copy of it, as I'm having a look at the use of umbrellas during the war! Random stuff I know! :lol:

Not familiar with the painting, but John Laffin's, The Western Front Illustrated (0-7509-1438-6), contains the well-published illustration by S. Begg of two 1916 Tommies with umbrellas. One is passing through the trench and another sitting on the fire step and reading a book. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan

That sounds like the painting I was thinking of, I just Googled again and found a lot on S. Begg but not the painting in question, would it be possible to see a colour scan or picture of the painting if at all possible?

Many thanks again!

Andrew - I'd be happy to send you a copy, but to maintain the quality of the image (to say nothing of probably violating copyright :blink: ), could I e-mail it to you?

Mine is dpzpmorton@cox.net.

All the best,

Dan

Andrew - I'd be happy to send you a copy, but to maintain the quality of the image (to say nothing of probably violating copyright :blink: ), could I e-mail it to you?

Mine is dpzpmorton@cox.net.

All the best,

Dan

Thanks for this, email sent via forum! :)

I assume that you know about Digby Tatham-Warter at Arnhem bridge?:

http://www.britsattheirbest.com/heroes_adv...th_umbrella.htm

Who-ever wrote the article needs a few history lessons though. :D

Wrong war, but interesting all the same! I know the gentleman from the film "A Bridge Too Far", but did not know that he later organised the escape of a large number of paratroops.

I'm having a look at the use of umbrellas during the war!

When officers of the 6th Indian Division were captured at Kut they bought the entire stock of German-made umbrellas in Baghdad to shelter them on their march to prison camps.

A P Le M Sinkins found himself in a front-line trench in unceasing rain and bought a gamp from Armentieres for 2fr 75. Other officers followed sit so that "the front line began to look like a pallid imitation of a wet day at Ascot". Captain Raymond Green of the 9th Lancers carried his umbrella into action at the first Battle of Messines. (Some at least of these anecdotes appeared in [/i]The Times between October 16 and November 7, 1934.)

The 54th (East Anglian) Division's emblem was an umbrella, following a raid on "Umbrella Hill", south of Gaze, in September 1917.

I've a few more "military umbrella" anecdotes of others wars, not least the Tatham-Walker one. On the 25th anniversary of the start of the Falkland Islands campaign it is worth recalling that the Islands' governor, Sir Rex Hunt, surrendered to the Argentine invaders by waving an umbrella with a white sheet tied to it. He handed it to his chief secretary with the words: "Don't lose my umbrella, Dick - I paid the earth for it from Briggs [famed umbrella shop] in Piccadilly".

Moonraker

Many thanks for that Moonraker - I'd only thought about their uses against rain, and completely forgotten they keep the sun off pretty well too!

• 1 month later...

Eventually found this pic for you Andrew. Knew I had it somewherepost-19630-1180458399.jpg

Eventually found this pic for you Andrew. Knew I had it somewhere.

Looks like two Tommies examining a woman's parasol they'd discovered in a ruined house rather than protecting themselves, as Andrew had imagined.

Moonraker

(who many years ago studied the history of umbrellas)

All good stuff anyhow! ;)

Is the cpl on the left wearing a Gorblimey?

Resolutions down here as graphics card is kaput so I cant blow up pics to see. :(