Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One for "royalredcross"

Tonym

post-1946-1175349248.jpgNorman

I am surew that you are the man to answer my question. Many moons ago I purchased an old scrap-book that contained a number of VC portraits. Included was the portrait of (I assume) Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood, Princess Royal 1932-1965. As she is wearing, what I assume is the Order of St. John, Can you confirm please or am I way off beam?

Best wishes, Tony

Tony,

I can't tell you who the lady is, but she isn't Princess Mary. Pic below shows Princess Mary with her parents.

Mick

post-11021-1175351605.jpg

Thanks for the thought chaps but Princess Mary died in 1965 so she would have aged a bit. Even I paraded for her (Col.in Chief of The Corps) in the 1950's

Cheers, Tony

Mick

Forgive me but I am not insisting that the portrait is Princess Mary as you will see by my original question.

Hopefully if Norman sees this thread he may well be able to identify the lady who obviously had connections with the St. John organisation.

As an aside The Princess Royal did arrive to review one of her regiments, 11th Armoured Div. Signal Regiment. The Regiment and its vehicles were paraded and we waited and were eventually marched off without an inspection as the lady was reported indisposed. That would have been about the time of your photograph - late 1955-early 56.

Tony

I can't identify the lady, but I can tell you she is wearing the pre 1936 insignia of a Lady Of Grace of the Order of St. John. I don't know whether or not I am imagining it, but she seems to be wearing academic dress. The red streak seems to be part of her hood.

HRH The Princess Royal Countess of Harewood was propoted Dame Grand Cross 12 June 1926 from Lady of Justice, appointed 21 October 1921. She would not have worn the badge illustrated.

Norman

Thanks Norman

Well at Least I know who she is not. I have to agree with you as I thought that she was wearing some sort of ceremonial robe. However, back into the unknown file.

Best wishes

Tony

I can't identify the lady, but I can tell you she is wearing the pre 1936 insignia of a Lady Of Grace of the Order of St. John.

The portrait intrigues me, and the face looks somehow familiar, although I can't put a name to the subject. Could Norman perhaps tell us what sort of person would be appointed a Lady of Grace of the Order of St John?

Mick