Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval Service Record

clarkc_bpo

post-16959-1175329761.jpgHi guys,

Does this Naval Service Record for my Gt-Gt-Uncle say 'Arun' in brackets after 'Victory X' etc, or what ? Any ideas what it could be. I have Jane's Fighting Ships which tells me that Arun was a River (E-Class) Destroyer. If it does indeed say Arun, anyone know why the shore establishments are also listed ? Also, any ideas where Arun spent the war ?

Thanks once again

Clark (with grateful thanks to Noel for assisting with this post)

Clark,

I would say Arun, if you can fix her on the Humber in the 7th Squadron while attatched to the Wallington it could be your ship.

Regards Charles

Clark, ships Logs for HMS ARUN for 010717 to 160118 are in PRO as follows ;

ADM 53 / 34229 180517 - 180717

ADM 53 / 34230 190717 - 180917

ADM 53 / 34231 190917 - 181117

ADM 53 / 34232 191117 - 190118

HMS WALLINGTON for ditto ;

ADM 53 / 68100 210517 - 210717

ADM 53 / 68101 220717 - 210917

ADM 53 / 68102 220917 - 221117

ADM 53 / 68103 231117 - 230118

Good Hunting, Sadsac

Clark,

Just looking at my book of "Shore Bases", HMS Victory X was an accounting section at Portsmouth, and HMS Wallington was an auxiliary patrol base at Immingham.

I just can't see how HMS Arun could fit into both, although, as we discussed, the word certainly looks like "Arun."

Can anyone work out the rank? That might give us a clue.

Noel

Clark,

Just looking at my book of "Shore Bases", HMS Victory X was an accounting section at Portsmouth, and HMS Wallington was an auxiliary patrol base at Immingham.

I just can't see how HMS Arun could fit into both, although, as we discussed, the word certainly looks like "Arun."

Can anyone work out the rank? That might give us a clue.

Noel

He was a Stoker 2nd Class, later 1st Class (Sto II/Sto I).

Nothing strange in his ship being a tender to more than one accounting ship/base/depot ship over time. ARUN moved to Portsmouth for some reason (e.g. repairs or refit) and VICTORY took over the accounts.

He was a Stoker 2nd Class, later 1st Class (Sto II/Sto I).

Nothing strange in his ship being a tender to more than one accounting ship/base/depot ship over time. ARUN moved to Portsmouth for some reason (e.g. repairs or refit) and VICTORY took over the accounts.

Hi all, and thanks for all the gen, especially the logs to look at. Much appreciated. I knew he was a stoker from a newpaper report of my gt-granpas death which said that he had a brother, Stoker A Christie, in the navy. Hence my search. I reckon it is Arun, a 'River' class destroyer. Many thanks again

Clark