Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy Reserve Postings

womo

Hi there to all,

A long time ago I aquired a trio to a trimmer in the RNR and with it came some photocopies of paperwork,

this is where I require the benefit of your knowledge.

Paper 1 titled: Service in Royal Navy when called out by proclamation.

On this paper it states the gent served on VictoryII, Gibralter, Victory and I think it says Faria?

Could anyone tell me about these postings?

Paper 2 titled: I think? Employment R.V. 17 or schedule 32. (make sense?)

Most of the writing on this paper is unfortunately unreadable.

Also, I was wondering if anyone could help with any information on the gent himself.

The name of the gent is Simon Dobson McIntosh from Aberdeen. Service No T.S. 3943. R.N.R.

With regards, Womo

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

If you could post his service number it would indicate whether he was R.N.R Ordinary or Trawler Section. If Trawler Section then the ships listed would probably be used for his accounts/pay while he served in trawlers/drifters etc. Are there any other names in brackets with the ships you have listed?

Here is some info regarding the ships you have mentioned.

Victory/VictoryII - Portsmouth Naval Base, also an Auxiliary Patrol depot ship Aug. 1914 to Oct. 1915.

Gibraltar - 1892 cruiser, part of the 10th Cruiser Squadron of the Northern Patrol 1914. Became a depot ship at Swarbacks Minn, Shetlands June 1915 to Dec. 1918. At Kircaldy for Aux. Patrol Dec. 1918 - Feb. 1919.

Can`t find a Faria but Zaria was a Merchant Fleet Auxiliary squadron supply ship from 1914 to 1915 when she became an Aux. Patrol depot ship at Longhope, Scapa Flow, Orkneys.

Hope this helps you.

David.

See this thread too

Service No T.S. 3943. R.N.R.

TS = Trimmer Trawler Section.

Am I right in thinking that the Navy dosnt call them postings? Yjey cal them drafts? If so, I wonder why?

Hello again,

If you could post his service number it would indicate whether he was R.N.R Ordinary or Trawler Section. If Trawler Section then the ships listed would probably be used for his accounts/pay while he served in trawlers/drifters etc. Are there any other names in brackets with the ships you have listed?

Here is some info regarding the ships you have mentioned.

Victory/VictoryII - Portsmouth Naval Base, also an Auxiliary Patrol depot ship Aug. 1914 to Oct. 1915.

Gibraltar - 1892 cruiser, part of the 10th Cruiser Squadron of the Northern Patrol 1914. Became a depot ship at Swarbacks Minn, Shetlands June 1915 to Dec. 1918. At Kircaldy for Aux. Patrol Dec. 1918 - Feb. 1919.

Can`t find a Faria but Zaria was a Merchant Fleet Auxiliary squadron supply ship from 1914 to 1915 when she became an Aux. Patrol depot ship at Longhope, Scapa Flow, Orkneys.

Hope this helps you.

David.

Oops, I should have spotted his service number at the bottom of the page. Obviously he was Trawler Service.

Thanks,

David.