Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

lusitania

toofatfortakeoff

Irish Times yesterday-court overturns rejection of 'Owner' bid to 'explore' the wreck of the old head of Kinsale. Previous rejection was owing to 'lack of understanding of the law' hmmm....

As well as being a wargrave this site is a habitat for nature. should it be explored? the photos would be of historical interest, but I get the feeling that gold may be the cause of the interest.

ps Anyone know if there is a visitor centre relating to the wreck at Kinsale harbour?

As well as being a wargrave this site is a habitat for nature.

Hello TFFTO

Is the wreck of the Lusitania actually designated a war grave?

Andy

Hello TFFTO

Andy

I'll get back to you on that in just a moment Offhand I would say it isn't as it was a 'neutral' vessel but it may well be an American monument.

Explored by who?

Its so called American owner

Guest geoff501

What constitutes a war grave? It is the final resting place of several hundred Commonwealth War Dead, commemorated on Tower Hill Memorial. So possibly yes.

Wasn't the Lusitania dived on some time ago , I seem to remember a documentry and lots of bits being recovered , steam whistle , propellor etc .

Chris

Guest geoff501
Wasn't the Lusitania dived on some time ago , I seem to remember a documentry and lots of bits being recovered , steam whistle , propellor etc .

Chris

Thought that was the Titanic. There is a soundfile somewhere on the 'net of the steam whistle blowing. (at reduced air pressure due to its fragility), very eerie sound.

There is nothing related to the Lusitania in Kinsale.

In Cobh - Queenstown - there is a memorial on the seafront and the town library has a complete set of documentation of the event, especially victims and survivors.

On the hill outside the town is the old cemetery and in there a number of the victims are buried.

The Lusitania was explored by Dr Robert Ballard (who found the Titanic) with numerous photographs taken by submersible cameras etc. I have the book* he wrote and it is similar to those of the Titanic with haunting images of rooms, personal possessions etc. Following this link gives more details and suggests the wreck has been 'explored' over the years already. Unlike the Titanic it's in relatively shallow water and thus far more accessible to people wishing to see it.

Mark

*Exploring the Lusitania: Probing the Mysteries of the Sinking That Changed History

by Robert D. Ballard

• 1 month later...

A few years ago the Irish Government declared the wreck a heritage site. Not because of its being a war grave but it is believed that there are lead containers in the hold belonging to the Irish Art collector Sir Hugh Lane, he died on the ship but the containers are believed to contain some Old Masters art treasures.

I think, but I stand corrected the Irish Government have rights to ownership of any Fine Art that is salvaged from the wreckage.

Isadore