Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Numbers

Terry

We have discussed previously the use of a letter in a soldier's unit number (eg. L-1234 Pte.H.Bloggins). Please forgive me if this has been answered before but would a number prefix (eg. 3-1234) indicate a soldier in the unit's 3rd Battalion. I have a Gordons 1st Bn trio with the fellow's number having a "3" prefix.

Terry,

Is there another thread on this topic, if so where? I'd like to know the signifcance of my Grandfather's letter T as in T-35255. Thought it might be T for terriotorial, or is it T for transport?

Back in September there was a discussion entitled "Z Prefix on Regimental Number", which dealt with some of the letter prefixes. I recall reading an article in the OMRS Journal some time ago on the topic as well. I will check into it.

Chris,

I almost forgot, if your grandfather was service corps, the T I think is for Horse Transport.

Chris,

I almost forgot, if your grandfather was service corps, the T I think is for Horse Transport.

But, just to add confusion, some soldiers in the AOC also had "T" numbers and some Territorials also had it.

However, Terry's correct if the unit is ASC. (T1, T2, T3 and T4 were all (Horse) Transport in the ASC).

Dave.

Terry,

Can't answer your question (no surprise there), but can offer you some observations.

Most of the Northants men I've come across with the 3/ prefix appear to have been reservists of one sort or another. Haven't looked to deeply.....

With the 5th Connaught Rangers with 5/ prefix rule seems to be true of about 1/3rd of their Gallipoli dead. Haven't seen this prefix outside this battalion.

Anyway, just my two cents,

Jim

Terry and Others,

My Gandad was definitely a "Territorial" his battalion (number unknown) was in 55th West Lancs (TA) Division.

Chris.

Terry,

Yes i believe you're right, the "3" means that your man was a reservist in the 3rd Battalion and was obviously called back to "the colours" due to hostilities and posted to the 1st Battalion.

Cheers

Ski :)

Terry,

I think 3 prefix = 3rd Battalion is the general rule for regiments administered by the Perth Record Office (Gordons, BW, Seaforth, Camerons and A&SH). But not all 3rd Bns used prefix 3.

Jock

Jock,

Thanks for the information on the Perth record office. Two of the 1914 Star trios in my collection are to 3-2476 A.Cpl.C.MacKenzie,1/Black Watch, and 3-6062 Pte.J.M.Napier,1/Gordons, so I guess they must have both been in their respective 3rd Reserve Battalions before heading off to France with the 1st Bns. MacKenzie went out on 12 Sept.; Napier on 7 Oct.