Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Today A.E. Pilbeam

Terence Munson

Remembering Today A.E. Pilbeam

And the crew of Saxon Prince

Hi, Does anyone know if more detail regarding the loss of the Saxon Prince ever came to light?

All I can find is these two of lines on page 68 of Roy Humphreys’ The Dover Patrol 1914-1918’:

".....on 28 March, Saxon Prince vanished during a furious south-westerly gale. The Vice-Admiral signed the daily report which said tersely, ‘Disappeared in storm off Dover’. Every incident recorded in the daily summaries failed to mention the acts of extreme bravery and courage which went unnoticed. Risking their lives daily, the minesweeping men often passed into oblivion without anyone being aware of their existence. There is, in truth, something heroic, even awesome about the men who suddenly disappeared without trace. Their names appear almost enigmatically on pieces of paper tinted by age, their souls hovering over the Dover Straits searching for recognition. They have no know grave."

Cheers Terry

I noted that here it states that she was captured by the German cruiser MOEWE and then sunk.

I wonder if this is the same ship?

Stephen,

Two different ships. The 237 grt hired trawler (trawler taken into naval service as a patrol vessel and/or auxilliary minesweeper) Saxon Prince disappeared in a storm on March 28, 1916 off Dover. Among the vessels the raider Möwe sank was the 3471 grt steamer Saxon Prince on February 25, 1916 some 620 miles W of Fastnet.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hi, Does anyone know if more detail regarding the loss of the Saxon Prince ever came to light?

All I can find is these two of lines on page 68 of Roy Humphreys’ The Dover Patrol 1914-1918’:

This author refers on a number of occasions to enigmatic sources which are not referenced. Virtually all of the records of the Dover Command are missing, so I am sceptical about material that cannot be traced back to Bacon's 'Dover Patrol' or his memoirs.

Mick

This author refers on a number of occasions to enigmatic sources which are not referenced. Virtually all of the records of the Dover Command are missing, so I am sceptical about material that cannot be traced back to Bacon's 'Dover Patrol' or his memoirs.

Mick

Mick, I initially intended to quote only two lines but the rest of the paragraph in my opinion was appropriate to topic. I did of course check Bacon's 'Dover Patrol' but Saxon Prince doesn’t get a mention.

Cheers Terry

HMT SAXON PRINCE, 237 gross tons launched 1907 , Port registration North Shields number SN.58, Admiralty number 262, armed with 1 x 3 pounder, minesweeper, reguisitioned August 1914, lost in storm 28th March 1916 off Dover.

Aye

Malcolm

Name: PILBEAM, ARTHUR EDWARD

Initials: A E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: (RFR/PO/B/2562). H.M. Trawler "Saxon Prince."

Date of Death: 28/03/1916

Service No: 183240

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 12.

Memorial: PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

Service record

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Name Rilbeam (?Kew Transcription error), Arthur Edmund

Official Number: 183240

Place of Birth: Hastings, Sussex

Date of Birth: 30 March 1878

Joined up c.1895

Hello

Here is the entire list for SAXON PRINCE

BROOKS CHARLES W. STOKER, RNR S 4748 SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

CHARTERS ROBERT DECK HAND, RNR D A 1618 SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

DENNEY ALFRED TRIMMER, RNR T S 4355 SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

FORREST JOHN DECK HAND, RNR D A 9220 SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

LORIMER THOMAS TRIMMER, RNR T S 774 SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

MCPHAIL JOHN DECK HAND, RNR S D 1690 SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

PILBEAM ARTHUR E. P.O. 2c (RFR B 2562) 183240 (Po) SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

PROFFIT CHARLES M. DECK HAND, RNR D A 1615 SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

ROBERTSON PETER 2nd HAND, RNR D A 2542 SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

ROSE GEORGE A. TY/SKIPPER, RNR SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

SMAILS GEORGE O. ENGINEMAN, RNR E S 806 SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

TOMLINSON THOMAS DECK HAND, RNR D A 1617 SAXON PRINCE 28-Mar-16

All best

don

Don - Thanks for posting the full crew list. I wonder why they are not all remembered together on one Naval Memorial?

All remembered here today.

Cheers Terry

Mick, I initially intended to quote only two lines but the rest of the paragraph in my opinion was appropriate to topic. I did of course check Bacon's 'Dover Patrol' but Saxon Prince doesn’t get a mention.

Sorry, Terry, if I didn't make myself clear — I meant that Roy Humphreys blithely refers to 'the daily report' and 'the daily summaries', suggesting a substantial body of preserved documentation, but gives no references for this source.

Remembering the crew of the Saxon Prince, whose loss reminds us of the dangers incurred and sacrifices made by the men of the Dover Patrol to keep the narrow seas safe for traffic to and from France.

Mick