Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the steel drifter glow

calvin

hello all, the steel drifter glow was built for m.a.f.f. in 1918 in aberdeen. i wondered if anyone has any info. on her. did she serve in the great war, has anyone got a picture of her or any details. my grandfather who served on varios ships in ww1 also served in ww2 and the glow was his first command in the second world war, so you can see why i have so much interest in her. thankyou all again john baxter

Dittmar and Colledge WW1

HMT GLOW, laumnched 21/11/1918 builder HALL, Admiralty No 3980, returned to M A & F on 13/11/1919. same name in WW2.

Lenton and Colledge WW2 gives

HMT GLOW ( Admiralty Drifter), Admiralty No FY.964, 96 tons launched 1918, requisitioned December 1939 and returned November 1945. Useed as a minesweeper.

Aye

Malcolm

sorry about that , still not sure how every thing works. thanks for all the help john

John,

Just a wee bit more info: HM Drifter Glow was an Standard Admiralty steel drifter, one of 127 built in total of which Alexander Hall of Aberdeen built 35. It was their design that was used as the standard for all 127 built by 19 different shipbuilders.

Regards,

Donny

thanks for that, every bit helps to complete the jigsaw. thanks once again. regards john

John - Here’s an old photo of a Steam Drifter named Glow but with a Lowestoft Port Number! I wonder....?

SD.Glow.jpg

Cheers Terry

hello terry, that looks the right type and size, i will try to confirm it , very much appriciated, thanks a lot, regards john

John/Terry,

I can confirm that Glow's later registration number was LT688. She was sold to Norway in 1946.

Info from "Steam drifters - A brief History " by Jim Tarvit

Regards,

Donny

hello donny, that would suggest that it was grandfathers ship as my record shows it was sold to norway in 1946, and built by halls of aberdeen in 1918 for m.a.f.f. thanks for the help, regards john

The Admiralty drifters of this class were not given Port Nos as they were Admiralty built in 1918. The photo looks like it may be post WW2.

Aye

Malcolm

thanks malcolm, the glow built in aberdeen was for m.a.f.f. and sold to norway in 1946. would the m.a.f.f. trawlers have a port no. thanks john

hello again malcolm, i have just found out that the glow was requesitioned by the admiralty 2-12-1939 and given a pennant no. fy 964, it was then returned to the owners , presumably m.a.f.f. on the16-11-1945, it may have been sold to the norwegians the following year. what do you think. does that add up. regards john

hello malcolm, it sounds likely to me too, take care regards john