The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can you identify this badge?

AndrewBelsey

This photo is of my Great Uncle Norman Bones. He was a consciensious objector, but was willing to serve as a strecher-bearer. He was conscripted in Jan 1918 and was with the Army Reserves for a while and caught flu or measles. He was then placed in the Queens West Surrey Regt as a strecher-bearer, got shot in the knee in action and spent the rest of the war in hospital. He was demobbed in Feb 1919, but was soon back in hospital with either TB or the effects of gas. He died in June 1919 aged 19. He's listed on the CWGC but his local village wouldn't put him on their memorial because of the date of his death.

Does anyone reccognise this cap badge? It's a similar shape to the East Surreys, but I think that there's a crown in the middle? Would it be the Army Reserves?

Thanks for all those who take an interest. Andy

[quote name='APB' date='Mar 28 2007, 01:21 PM' post='653912'

This photo is of my Great Uncle Norman Bones. He was a consciensious objector, but was willing to serve as a strecher-bearer. He was conscripted in Jan 1918 and was with the Army Reserves for a while and caught flu or measles. He was then placed in the Queens West Surrey Regt as a strecher-bearer, got shot in the knee in action and spent the rest of the war in hospital. He was demobbed in Feb 1919, but was soon back in hospital with either TB or the effects of gas. He died in June 1919 aged 19. He's listed on the CWGC but his local village wouldn't put him on their memorial because of the date of his death.

Does anyone reccognise this cap badge? It's a similar shape to the East Surreys, but I think that there's a crown in the middle? Would it be the Army Reserves?

Thanks for all those who take an interest. Andy

Andy

I am not 100% but i recall something about war memorials and names now being added to them. I know my sister won the right to have her son's name put on the local memorial after he was killed in the Gulf 1991. I am sure you can apply for it to be added. I am sure there will be more than a few on the forum whom will be able to give you proper advice on that issue. I personaly feel it is only right he should be added to your local memorial.

Dan

Alan is spot on.

<------- See my Avatar. ;)

It's a bit odd that his parish refused to place his name on the local civic war memorial taking into account he died aged only 19 in 1919 (the year the Great War officially ended - NOT 1918).

Have you attempted to have his name added now? I reckon you stand a good chance as many civic tributes up and down the land are now being updated with forgotten men like this...

Best of luck if you decide to do this - Your Gt Uncle deserves local commemoration.

Neil

Thanks Guys for your help. My cousin has made enquiries reccently about adding Norman's name to the local monument, but was told that because all his siblings had died too now that it was not worth it!?

Hi,

Not worth it?

Oh I'd better go before I swear and get told off......

Not worth it my (Jim Royle)...

Who exactly is the person who decided that the name of a fallen soldier who gave everything for his country and the people in it does not merit inclusion on his local memorial?

It seems very obvious that the man who died was blessed with much deeper seated and soldily based principles than the jobsworth who said "He's not worth it".

I'm angry.

I asssume that the local authority is the owner of the memorial and as as such they would be the people to approach on this matter.

APB, would you either name the people your cousin contacted here on the forum or PM me with it please?

I'll fire them off a letter in support of your Great Uncle Norman being included on his local memorial, where presumably he would be joining a few of his mates?

Nigel