The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Paradise Preserved

Stephen Nulty

I have just received a copy of an English Heritage publication called "Paradise Preserved: An introduction to the assessment, evaluation, conservation and management of historic cemeteries".

I would recommend it for any Pals interested in this subject, and I know that we have had several threads associated with the (lack of) maintenance of several cemeteries. Perhaps if you wish to trigger some action associated with a local cemetery, you can use this to guide you.

The publication details various organisations, funding sources and other contacts associated with this topic, as well as providing a reasonably detailed history of cemeteries in the UK, associated with various Acts of Parliament. It lists all cemeteries in the UK which are registered as "Landscapes of Special Historic Interest".

The document can be downloaded as a pdf from English Heritage but when I checked, the online version is an old version. I clicked on the enquiry option and requested a hard copy of the latest version which turned up within two weeks.