Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

paul case

I have been trying to trace a photo of my great uncles name on Chatham naval memorial. I live in yorkshire and find it impossible to get there at the moment. His name was pte william case,No CH/19125 RMLI and died 31st may 1916 at the battle of jutland on HMS LION. Any help greatly apprecited. PAUL CASE.

Paul

I can confirm that the information that you have on William Case is as is on the Chatham Naval Memorial.But no further information.Might I suggest that you google Chatham Naval Memorial.You might find an answer there.

CHEERS.

JOHN

Dear Paul,

I have photos of all panels of the Chatham memorial.

Let me have your e-mail & I'll forward it.

TTFN

John

THANK YOU for the very fast replies. I have replied to john and hope to hear from him soon.THIS SITE IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD. Thank you PAUL

Does anyone know if William Case served in 'Q' Turret under Major FJW Harvey VC RMLI?

I have photos of all panels of the Chatham memorial.

Let me have your e-mail & I'll forward it.

TTFN

John

John,

Could I impose a request for this man, please?

Thanks,

Peter

post-163-1175215221.jpg

You beat me to it Jack!!!!

What you doin ere anyway??????

Neil

Eh up Neil. Doin' me bit to help others, with your Chatham photos. Good use though.

TTFN

John/Jack

John

Could you possibly send me photographs of the following men on the Chatham Naval Memorial.

Edward Fry HUNTER died 5.6.1916 on HMS Hampshire, he is on Panel 20, he was a Durham County Constabulary policeman.

Thomas Joseph Cuthbert KAVANAGH KIA 22.9.1914 on HMS Aboukir

John SHAW KIA 22.9.1914 on HMS Aboukir Both these men are on Panel 2 and were Newcastle firemen.

Rowlandson Hardy SHOTTON KIA 15.10.1914 on HMS Hawke, he was a River Wear Watch policeman, he is on Panel 1.

Ralph Philip SMITH Died 18.1.1918 when HMT Gambri hit a mine in North Sea. He was a South Shields policeman, he is on Panel 31.

I know there are a few, but it is a long way from Durham to get the photos. John

Does anyone know if William Case served in 'Q' Turret under Major FJW Harvey VC RMLI?

I know for certain that williiam was in q turret and according to paperwork i have MAJOR HARVEY ordered the magazines to be flooded saving the ship,at this time he had been mortally wounded.For his actions he was awarded the VC posthumously.

PAUL CASE

John

Could you possibly send me photographs of the following men on the Chatham Naval Memorial.

Edward Fry HUNTER died 5.6.1916 on HMS Hampshire, he is on Panel 20, he was a Durham County Constabulary policeman.

Thomas Joseph Cuthbert KAVANAGH KIA 22.9.1914 on HMS Aboukir

John SHAW KIA 22.9.1914 on HMS Aboukir Both these men are on Panel 2 and were Newcastle firemen.

Rowlandson Hardy SHOTTON KIA 15.10.1914 on HMS Hawke, he was a River Wear Watch policeman, he is on Panel 1.

Ralph Philip SMITH Died 18.1.1918 when HMT Gambri hit a mine in North Sea. He was a South Shields policeman, he is on Panel 31.

I know there are a few, but it is a long way from Durham to get the photos. John

Dear John,

Please supply full rank & branch of service for these chaps. The memorial lists them by rank & service & it will save me time searchig thru the whole lot. Also need your e-mail address to send to.

TTFN

John

John

The details I have on the above men are as follows

HUNTER Able Seaman number (Tyneside) TZ/5617 RNVR

KAVANAGH Able Seaman 177201 RN

SHAW Able Seaman 181767 RN

SHOTTON Leading Seaman 203871 (RFR/CH/8558)

SMITH Deck Hand DA6804 Royal Naval Reserve

John

John

The details I have on the above men are as follows

HUNTER Able Seaman number (Tyneside) TZ/5617 RNVR

KAVANAGH Able Seaman 177201 RN

SHAW Able Seaman 181767 RN

SHOTTON Leading Seaman 203871 (RFR/CH/8558)

SMITH Deck Hand DA6804 Royal Naval Reserve

John

Good O. Still need an e-mail address though. I don't think I can attach to forum PMs (?)

TTFN

John

John

I added the information to this forum then sent an e-mail to you which somehow does not appear to have arrived at the correct destination. I have sent another e-mail to you through the GWF, which will give you my e-mail address. Hope it gets to you this time.

John

Confirmation of e-mail received & five jpgs despatched 18.15 today.

TTFN

John

John

All downloaded successfully, thanks for your help. Had a good look at your site in relation to the missing men on the CWGC, a really worthwhile project and a well presented site.

John