Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

saberhagen427

Cottbus No. I

Moffatt
Does anyone have a map that shows the exact location of the PoW camps at Cottbus? If so could you post a scan, or point them out on Google Maps?

I'm not entirely sure whether Cottbus No. I was the main camp at Cottbus, or whether it was a different camp. Lt. Ives who went to take charge of the prisoners and bring them home at the end of the war said that Cottbus-Sielow consisted of two camps: one at Cottbus where most of the British prisoners were, and one at Sielow which was mainly full of Russians. Would No. I be either of these, or might it be a work camp rather than a head camp? In any case, would the theatre most likely be at the head camp regardless of what or where No. I was?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm exploring the possibilities of Flickr for storing and sharing Great War photos, and one of its features is the ability to drag the photos onto a map to show where they were taken.

Gavin - I have just come across this photo-postcard from Cottbus, depicting a scene from the English Theatre. The two men in drag appear to be playing prostitutes - it would be fantastic if anyone could put a name to them!

post-33729-1222716562.jpg

saberhagen427

That's a great photo. It looks a lot less formal than the ones I've seen before. I don't think my GGF is in it and so far I don't know the names of anyone else he was with. You can see all my Cottbus photos on Flickr and maybe compare faces.

Kate Wills

Two photos of the Bing Bong Boys at Cottbus have been posted by Rob Bulloch in the Concert Parties thread

Guest HIGHLANDER

Hi

I was looking for information regarding" COTTBUS" My wife has in her possession a pencil drawing belonging to her grand father who served in the First World War and was a prisoner at Cottbus. It is a sketch from a play put on by the prisoners namely "The Lion Tame dated 16/11/1918. The signature of the artist I think is L. LANGE or LANGER. There are other names in the drawing too of whichW.GRANT of the KOSB, A.HAYWARD, S.CAREY,W.f.w.WILLIAMS,S.MORGAN. I do not know if this will interest anyone but it seems a shame that such a piece of history should remain hidden away in a folder.

Kindest Regards

David Duncan.

Guest Jaytack1

My grandfather RSM Albert Owen James was the senior NCO at Cottbus camp and was heavily involved when the Red Cross parcels failed to be delivered to the prisoners. In his papers I have found a set of sketches that show some of the people in the camp. It was in poor condition so I have scanned it and used digital photo editing to clean up the background.

post-109794-0-79393500-1398611295_thumb.

A small version of the drawing is attached and I will happily email a full size version on request.

Please contact jaytackATntlworldDOTcom

John James

Guest KATHYKATE38

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've just found all my Great Grandfather's postcards from Cottbus and did a Google search to find out more about it. It lead me here. His name was George Nicholls and he was listed as "missing, presumed killed" and his name was written on the Menin Gate war memorial. He was in fact a POW and 2 and a half years later, turned up at home! My Greatgrandparents celebrated their Diamond wedding in 1973, when I was 5. He lived into his late 80's.

This is the very beginning of my journey into finding out all I can about Cottbus and I'd love to share the postcards if they are of interest, there's about 50 of them at a guess.

jaytack1

Attn Kathykate38,  I would love to see the photographs and will scan to put on my Ancestry family tree

Please email  JaytackATntlworldDOTcom

John James

DavidOwen
1 hour ago, jaytack1 said:

Attn Kathykate38,  I would love to see the photographs and will scan to put on my Ancestry family tree

Please email  JaytackATntlworldDOTcom

John James

John James

Welcome (back?) to the forum

Sadly  KathyKate38 is no longer a member so will be unable to reply to your post.

Your email has been edited to prevent bots scraping the details.

Regards

David

Alisha
On 11/06/2012 at 06:58, Guest HIGHLANDER said:

Hi

I was looking for information regarding" COTTBUS" My wife has in her possession a pencil drawing belonging to her grand father who served in the First World War and was a prisoner at Cottbus. It is a sketch from a play put on by the prisoners namely "The Lion Tame dated 16/11/1918. The signature of the artist I think is L. LANGE or LANGER. There are other names in the drawing too of whichW.GRANT of the KOSB, A.HAYWARD, S.CAREY,W.f.w.WILLIAMS,S.MORGAN. I do not know if this will interest anyone but it seems a shame that such a piece of history should remain hidden away in a folder.

Kindest Regards

David Duncan.

Hi David, 

I am writing my thesis on theatre within WW1 prisoner of war camps. Would love to chat more about the drawing!

Best wishes, 

Alisha 

Hi again, 

Does anyone know what type of prisoner was held at Cottbuss? Soldier or officer?

Best wishes, 

Alisha