Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Regiment

stevebrocklesby

22 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Interesting,

It seems to indicate he was indeed in one of the sub-units of Jäger-Regiment 14. I'll check some of the histories and see whether I can find him.

Jan

Thank you Jan

Hello,

I found him. He is listed among the dead of 4. Kompagnie/Reserve-Jäger-Bataillon 15. Date of death is 26 July 1918 and place of death Villers-sur-Marne.

Jan

Thanks Jan, this helps me track down a possible opportunity to visit his grave and learn more about the world he was living in.   His absence as a father in his family explains much of how the subsequent generations made do.  Is it possible to search these Histories digitally or do you have a paper copy?   I would be curious about his brother Richard as well so see if they served in the same unit.   Richard started in the RIR249th. and he made it through to the end.
I found it interesting to read that the 1918 Spanish influenza was hitting the troops at the same time as these miserable battles at the end of the war, it must have been an absolutely desperate situation.
OKT 15.

Eine in ganz Europa umsichgreifende Grippewelle fordert bei den durch die ohnehin durch die Hungerblocke der Engländer geschwächten Deutschen tausende von Toten, sowohl bei der Truppe als auch in der Heimat.

http://www.deutsche-kriegsgeschichte.de/krgj18.html

On 02/01/2022 at 23:09, AOK4 said:

Hello Alex,

Do you have asked for a copy of his death certificate (from the commune)? There may be more details there.

Only the regimental staff was used as the staff of the newly formed Jäger-Regiment 14, the battalions were sent to other units: I to IR 466 as I/466, the others probably to IR 467 and IR 468.

Ernst Pfaffe is only mentioned on page 296 in a small chapter written by Oberstleutnant von Germar when describing his experiences as newly appointed commander of I/233 in 1914. Germar mentions some people there whom he apparently respected highly for their courage and devotion.

Jan

Looks like Germar was Commander of 1st Battalion, (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulrich_von_Germar)
How long is that list of people he references?

8 hours ago, Alex said:

Looks like Germar was Commander of 1st Battalion, (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulrich_von_Germar)
How long is that list of people he references?

There's just a few names in that report. The regimental history itself is quite elaborate (374 pages without index). You may want to try to get a book via your library to have a look at it.

Jan

I think I may have just ordered the last one available.   It is coming from the UK to the US.   So hopefully it is the right one and it gets here in a few weeks.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2023 at 18:55, Donbogen said:

I hope one of you guys can help me with this unit stamped on base of a Saxon buckle

78.A.1.B.I or a T

Regards 

I don't know markings in detail but I do know the Saxon Army... and the unit has to be Feldartillerie-Regiment 78 (that would be the "78.A" part).

4 hours ago, bierast said:

I don't know markings in detail but I do know the Saxon Army... and the unit has to be Feldartillerie-Regiment 78 (that would be the "78.A" part).

Thank You