Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

fishing vessels

calvin

hello all, can any one tell me if there is a site which gives fleet deployment for the navy during the great war including the fishing vessels taken into service. there is a partial one for ww2 and i wondered if there was one for ww1 or how you can find this out. thankyou john

John

I have a feeling that there is some record in the Special Collection in Southampton Library though it has been some time since I looked for this sort of info. I know that I did get info on what Fishing boats were used by the RN for patrol etc,they seemed to operate mostly from their home fisihing ports.

I will look when next I go.

Sotonmate

thanks sotonmate for your help, regards john

You might wish to have a look at a book called "The Dover Patrol" by Roy Humphreys of Hawkinge, Kent. This book provides comprehensive lists of names of boats and ships employed by the patrol during the Great War.

My understanding is that the Dover Patrol were the largest user of these types of fishing vessels.

Hello

A thought. In WW II, there was a RED LIST (companion to the PINK LIST) that listed requisitioned vessels in the same format as the PINK LIST. I believe the RED LIST did exist during the First World, but unknown on the frequency.

All best

don

hello neil and don thankyou both for the help. does anyone know where the red and pink lists are held. thankyou both again regards john

Im not too sure the 'Red List' or 'Pink List' would refer to the movements of individual Trawlers, possibly Divisions or Squadrons. If they are available they will be in the Admiralty Library/ Greenwich maritime/ or Kew.

Regards Charles

thankyou charles, i will give them a try. rgards john

Hello

PINK and RED lists are at Kew. The PINK list gives requisitioned trawlers, drifters, fishing and motor boats by name, organisation, location, etc, etc for overseas stations, along with the other warships. The RED list deals with Home Waters.

All best

don

hello don, thanks for that, i am going to kew in may for a week to do some research, i will look at it then . thanks again john

This may help. The Fleet Air Arm Museum has a ledger from WW1 (1914-1919) which lists the parent ship(s) to which trawlers, etc, were attached. The small boats themselves are first listed alphabetically and their allotted 'Naval Number' is noted - there are more than 4,000. There is then an index, listed by Naval Numbers, showing details of their Depot Ship(s), together with details of disposal of boats - paid off, mined, sunk, etc. This is a little-used resource at the FAAM and no research has been does as to its completeness. You would probably need to visit.

thanks for that, i am going down to bristol soon and will arrange a visit. i will let you know how i got on. thanks again regards john