Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map Dec 1917

bobpike

An elderly neighbour has approached me about a Trench Map(?) that has been framed and in his family for years and wondered if we could tell him who used it and which units were in the area at the time.

It is approx 24 inches by 12 inches, and has the usual trench markings on it.

It is entitled "Auchy," and dated 20.12.17. It has the legend at the bottom of -

F Survey Co RE 5558. My friend's father was in the 2nd. Royal Sussex, but has no recollection of it being his,

Any information would be welcome, please,

Bob

Possibly Auchy les Mines (on modern maps) to the East of Bethune and North of Lens but on a trench map (on Linesman) is called Auchy la Bassee the place la Basee being immediatly North of Auchy. Any chance of posting the map so I can compare.

The map would have been made by the Field Survey Company Royal Engineers.

Does it have any numbers/letters on it?

If it is Auchy Les Mines on the Hulluch front then the 11th Division were there. Next to them going north was the 1st Division of which the 2nd Sussex were a part. The Divisional Boundaries would have been close to Auchy.

stevem

Here's Bob's map...

Dave (Sorry Bob, file size restrictions on the GWF prevent me from posting the image as clearly as I've done elsewhere)

post-357-1174849452.jpg

Yes it is in the area I mentioned - You will see Stansfield, Gordon and Hulluch Trenches at the bottom in blue.

I will try and find my map with the ref on and let you have it.

If you look on a modern map it will be Auchy Les Mines just south west of La Bassee - On the N41 Lille - Bethune Road from memory.

stevem

Yes it is in the area I mentioned - You will see Stansfield, Gordon and Hulluch Trenches at the bottom in blue.

I will try and find my map with the ref on and let you have it.

If you look on a modern map it will be Auchy Les Mines just south west of La Bassee - On the N41 Lille - Bethune Road from memory.

stevem

It is ( I believe) La Basee map sheet 44A NW1. It seems to match in every way with your map. Auchy is down as Auchy la Basee. To the north will be La Basse, south - Hulluch, loos, west - bethune.

stevem

Thank you everyone for starting the ball rolling again, and to Dave for posting it. I hope it provokes more comment, please!

Thank you everyone for starting the ball rolling again, and to Dave for posting it. I hope it provokes more comment, please!

Confused!

Bob

What other info do you want on the map?

stevem

Steve,

Sorry to be obtuse, but I was still not quite clear who might have been in this position in December 1917? You are suggesting the 11th Division?

Bob

Steve,

Sorry to be obtuse, but I was still not quite clear who might have been in this position in December 1917? You are suggesting the 11th Division?

Bob

Nearly !

The 1st Division were holding that part of the front line ( The blue bits are British, the red German)

I think the Divisional HQ was at or near Givenchy. The 11th Division were the next ones going south and the border line would be in the Auchy area. The Trenches at the bottom - Stansfield, Gordon and Hulluch Alley were in the 11th Divs area of operation. The 11th Div and I presume the 1st spent a number of months in these locations.

For example -

War Diaries of 9th Sherwood Foresters (11th Div) 24th May 1918 -

Raid was carried out by K.R.R.C. on the front of the 1st Division on our left. 4 prisoners captured. There was some retaliation on our sector. 11 pm. Projectors (Gas) were discharged on 1st Divisional front in Conjuction with Trench Mortars.

On 18th April 1918 the 1st Division took part in the second Defence of Givenchy.

As the map is Dec 1917 I would think that the 1st Div arrived in the area about the same time as 11th Div - November 1917.

Hope that helps.

stevem