Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

still searching

jamesbow

hi all,

have just recieved my fathers engagement form from the fleet air arm,it is two pages and although i am delighted with it,additional info i did not know(he was in the 3rd beds volunteers)is that the end of the line for his records.i have his certificate of service ships on,conduct,prize money etc,and now this engagement paper should there be more,like the army papers run into pages and pages of information.health,when he got married next of kin, punishment etc ,he done a total of 22 years and this seems a little to show for it.

any ideas/ help,would be most welcome jamesbow.

James

Have you got more information you could post,his name and number,details of when he started FAA duties,did he go into it direct from the Volunteers, or another Regt etc. Was his 22 years completed after WW1,and if so did he join at the start of the War.This may indicate whether he had a W0363 record,which would show his full details,if it survived the bombing in 1940.

This may persuade someone to offer some help.

Sotonmate

hi sotonmate,

my father enlisted in the royal navy on the 30th dec 1905 at chatham,his no is /ss101914.

p.i.c.no 322346. he transferred to r.f.r. chatham b7175 on the 31st dec 1910.re enrolled for a further 5? years on date? till 15th feb 1919.then its got 15th may 1923 re enrolled in rfr for a further five years.sorry about some of dates but they are unreadable.i just wondered if i,m missing something,on all the records i have there is no next of kin,scars ,tattoos etc listed,and he was heavily tattoedon his arms.he got married in 1910 i would have thought that would have been listed on something.thanks for any help ,point in right direction

jamesbow

James

You might find something in ADM188 at the NA Kew. The piece (folder) reference is ADM188/118 whose range of numbers include your quoted 101914. This may be a coincidence,but the files do cover the period required and are for Naval ratings. They may be on spools in the Microfilm Reading Room.

Sotonmate

thanks for that ,i,m due a few days off /think i,ll have a train ride down to kew see what i can find?many thanks sotonmate jamesbow.

As his number was SS101914 his service register in in ADM 188/1107. You can download it for £3.50 or view it for free at Kew either on the microfilm or from documents online at their computers.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Name Bowskill, William Alfred

Official Number: SS101914

Place of Birth: Arlesey, Bedfordshire

Date of Birth:24 September 1883

He was a Short Service rating, he signed up for 5 years service and 7 years in reserve (Royal Fleet Reserve). That would have come to an end in 1917. Do the documents mention a LSGC medal? If you go to Kew, have a look in ADM 171/146 RFR Long Service Medal roll.

thanks for all help,

he does have a long service medal,in feb 1919 its got demobilised,then the next line down its got ,pembroke l sto 8th april 21 -4th june 21demobilised?,would he have been demoblised twice.on 15 th may 1923 re-enrolled for a further 5 years,would he have got a small pension?

many thanks jamesbow