Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Batt KRRC War Diary July 1915 - May 1918

keithfazzani

I have a copy of this war diary - most of it readable - happy to do look ups - includes a few sketch maps etc.

This unit was in the 111th Brigade which was part of the 37th Division.

I would like to find the names and appointment dates of the Commanding

Officers of the the 13th BN KRRC. Is this information given in

the diaries.

David

David

Sent you a pm - you are quite right about 111th Brigade and 37th division although there was quiet a lot of chopping around

• 1 month later...

keith

btw i've managed to finally get myself a copy!!

cheers

chris :D

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I'm trying to find information about the movements and locations of the KRRC 13th in Jan/Feb/Mar 1918. My Great Grandfather was killed in action with the 13th on March 19th 1918 and died in the 2nd Canadian casualty clearing station of shrapnel wounds. (private 39361 Arthur Vine, his grave site is in Lijssenthoek). I have very little information (as this is new research for me) on the 13th's movements or distribution (attached to the 37th Dev, 111th brigade is about it !).

Anything that you have that would asist me would be very gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Tony

• 1 year later...

Hello

My Great Uncle was taken prisoner on or about the 7th March 1918 whilst a member of the 13thKRRC. Would you be able to look up to see if anything is mentioned about this? I don't expect he is mentioned but if so, he was Rflmn B.W Page. He ended up in the POW hospital in Berlin and was repatriated early in 1919.

Many thanks

Elaine

Will do Elaine, give me a couple of days and I will get back to you

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I am aware that normally only officers were mentioned by name in the Diaries, however I am looking for Corporal 10567 Percy F.A, Thomas of 'B' Company, who was commissioned in September 1918 to Indian Army Reserve of Officers - Does he feature earlier in the year as leaving the Battalion for officer training?

For info. he was with the Battalion when they landed 31st July 1915.

Here's a transcript of a letter sent to his father in April 1917

Dear Dad,

Just a line to say I am still alive and kicking and in the best of health and I am hoping this letter finds you the same. I received a letter from Les yesterday and I am pleased to say every body at home are in the pink, and they have had the Gipps again what is going on in England I should very much like to know. I have also had a letter from Lily Latter and a photo of herself, don’t I wish I was in blighty for a day or two I am not fed up I really like it. I may grumble at times but I am alright after a time. The Coy. Is in its’ best all the officers and men are getting on A.1, .S.M. J- and Oms S- wish to be remembered to you. Well my news is at and end so must now close wishing you the best of luck also B.S old duffer

I remain your loving son Percy

The fags are short a few would be hospitable

Regards

Jim

Sorry my copy only goes up to May 1918 and I haven't transcribed the 1918 entries yet. If I get time I'll take a look but it won't be for a week or two I am afraid rather busy just at the moment, it would if mentioned at all be in a monthly return, but named men are very rare.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

My Great Grandfather relieved the 13th KRRC on 8th/9th March. He was in the 10th Batt Royal Fusiliers.

It would be interesting to see the account from the KRRC'S point of view for those dates. I have the war diary for the 10th batt RFUS, if you would like an exstract for those dates?

Many Thanks

John

• 2 months later...

Keith

When you have a moment (!) please would you look for any mention of 2/Lt Richard Grain Humphreys (son of the famous lawyer Travers Humphreys) who was killed in action with the 13th Bn on 28 September 1917 according to SDGW and CWGC, and The Times of 4 October 1917 (although that doesn't mention his battalion, and nor does his MIC). He is commemorated on the Tyne Cot memorial.

The Annals of the KRRC do not even list him as a KRRC officer casualty, curiously. Nor are they at all informative about 13th Bn or indeed 37th Division on 28 September 1917.

I'd be delighted if you could shed any light on this without my having to go to Kew, but I may have to go and get his record, which is WO 339/47531.

Liz

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Keith

My grandfather was in the 13 Bn. KRRC and I am wondering if he was mentioned in the diaries he was Capt. Thomas Buchan Craig MC any info you can find I would be interested in.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith, only just spotted this, will take a look, but might be a day or two

Hello Keith,

Wondered if you might be kind enough to have a look, or if time permits, transcribe details for 11 April 1917, or events the day before and after.

I am interested in:

S/4720 Cpl J Watson KIA 11 April 1917.

He [along with his brother] is on the local village memorial I am researching.

Regards

Peter

Keith

When you have a moment (!) please would you look for any mention of 2/Lt Richard Grain Humphreys (son of the famous lawyer Travers Humphreys) who was killed in action with the 13th Bn on 28 September 1917 according to SDGW and CWGC, and The Times of 4 October 1917 (although that doesn't mention his battalion, and nor does his MIC). He is commemorated on the Tyne Cot memorial.

The Annals of the KRRC do not even list him as a KRRC officer casualty, curiously. Nor are they at all informative about 13th Bn or indeed 37th Division on 28 September 1917.

I'd be delighted if you could shed any light on this without my having to go to Kew, but I may have to go and get his record, which is WO 339/47531.

Liz

Sorry Liz - only just spotted this.

1917 KRRC Chronicle has 2/Lt R.G. Humphreys killed on 10 Oct 1917, but this is at odds with the 13th Battalion War Record in the same volume that states ...

"Before the end of the month [september 1917] we lost 2nd. Lieut. R.G. Humphreys, killed by a shell while on his way back (slightly wounded) to the dressing station."

[KRRC Chronicle 1917 p.183]

CWGC's date of 27 Sep 1917 is consistent with the Battalion War Record, which has 13/KRRC in camp at LOCRE till the night of 27/28 Sep 1917, when they moved to a new location in the front line around BODMIN COPSE & TOWER HAMLETS facing GHELUVELT.

I could not find an obituary for him in any of the 1917, 1918 nor 1919 KRRC Chronicles.

2/Lt R.G. Humphries (sic) is included in the List of Officer who served with 13/KRRC in 1916 in the 1916 KRRC Chronicle.

He is mentioned as leading a party of bombers on 13 Nov 1916 that cleared BEAUMONT ROAD TRENCH on the western edge of BEAUCOURT-SUR-ANCRE during the successful capture of the village in the latter stages of the Battle of the Somme.

His MIC has no 1914-15 Star entitlement, so he did not go out with the battalion on 31 Jul 1915, nor join it before 01 Jan 1916. I found no mention of him in the records of the various Reserve battalions, but these are not comprehensive, to say the least.

Mark

Hello Keith

My grandfather was in the 13 Bn. KRRC and I am wondering if he was mentioned in the diaries he was Capt. Thomas Buchan Craig MC any info you can find I would be interested in.

Regards

Keith

No sorry couldn't find him in a search - have you any specific dates, the award of his MC for example.

Hello Keith,

Wondered if you might be kind enough to have a look, or if time permits, transcribe details for 11 April 1917, or events the day before and after.

I am interested in:

S/4720 Cpl J Watson KIA 11 April 1917.

He [along with his brother] is on the local village memorial I am researching.

Regards

Peter

I have pm'd you

I have pm'd you

Have replied thank you

Peter

No sorry couldn't find him in a search - have you any specific dates, the award of his MC for example.

2/Lt. T.B. CRAIG - MC gazetted 03 Jun 1918 according to the 1918 KRRC Chronicle 13th Bn War Record, but the KRRC Chronicle Honours List gives a date of 23 Sep 1918! I suspect that is an error!

He's also on the Nominal Roll of Officers who served in 13/KRRC in 1917, but not for 1916, so he appears to have joined the battalion during 1917.

Sorry Liz - only just spotted this.

1917 KRRC Chronicle has 2/Lt R.G. Humphreys killed on 10 Oct 1917, but this is at odds with the 13th Battalion War Record in the same volume that states ...

"Before the end of the month [september 1917] we lost 2nd. Lieut. R.G. Humphreys, killed by a shell while on his way back (slightly wounded) to the dressing station."

[KRRC Chronicle 1917 p.183]

CWGC's date of 27 Sep 1917 is consistent with the Battalion War Record, which has 13/KRRC in camp at LOCRE till the night of 27/28 Sep 1917, when they moved to a new location in the front line around BODMIN COPSE & TOWER HAMLETS facing GHELUVELT.

I could not find an obituary for him in any of the 1917, 1918 nor 1919 KRRC Chronicles.

2/Lt R.G. Humphries (sic) is included in the List of Officer who served with 13/KRRC in 1916 in the 1916 KRRC Chronicle.

He is mentioned as leading a party of bombers on 13 Nov 1916 that cleared BEAUMONT ROAD TRENCH on the western edge of BEAUCOURT-SUR-ANCRE during the successful capture of the village in the latter stages of the Battle of the Somme.

His MIC has no 1914-15 Star entitlement, so he did not go out with the battalion on 31 Jul 1915, nor join it before 01 Jan 1916. I found no mention of him in the records of the various Reserve battalions, but these are not comprehensive, to say the least.

Mark

Many thanks, Mark, for this additional information from the Chronicles and for checking them all.

I ought also to have returned to this thread before to thank Keith publicly for having provided me with the War Diary references off the forum.

Shame there was no obituary - there was a Times one, however, and I have a little information from his school, Malvern. He obtained his commission from the Inns of Court OTC at the age of 18 in November 1915 after matriculating at London University, hence not with the battalion before 1 Jan 1916, as you say.

Both CWGC and SDGW, as well as the Times, have 28 September 1917 as his date of death.The autobiography of his younger brother, Judge Christmas Humphreys, has some interesting references to the impact of his death on his family.

Liz

Many thanks to Keith for kindly taking the time to send me an extract from the War Diary.

regards

Peter