Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newspapers for Upper Edmonton or Acton?

love4history

A while ago, with the kind help of a few forum-members, I was able to gather a nice background file on the recipient of a VM in my collection.

I have read stories about people really getting the icing on the cake and retrieving a picture of a recipient of their medals.

Apparently local newspapers could be a source. Now as I'm hardly an expert in Britain's geography (understatement to say I have no idea at all where these places are) I was wondering if somebody knew IF there are any local newspapers for the place of residence on the day he died: Upper Edmonton, N. (North London) or his place of birth (Acton) and where these could be consulted?

Thank you for your help (once again)

Cheers from Flanders :)

Roel

local papers are (in my opinion) by far the best source for getting a picture

what I do is put in the place name and local studies and/or library - and if i find something send them an email - some reply, some dont

if died, de Ruvignys books are a quick and easy reference - many have pics to go with the details

And icing on the cake is when you get the BWM :)

Roel,

born and raised as an 'Edminton' boy i can tell you the local paper for the area was The Weekly Herald, think in later years it became the Tottenham & Edmonton Herald! think they are still going in some shape or form.

Not reasearched Newspapers myself and not much help to you in Flanders but their is apparently a very good Newspaper library in Colindale, North west London, don't know if any Pal's can expand or help searching there for you.

Regards,

Scottie.

...their is apparently a very good Newspaper library in Colindale, North west London...

:o Scottie. It's only THE British Newspaper Library - part of The British Library - holding legally-deposited copies (with some gaps) of every newspaper, national and local, published in the UK since ... well, a long time :)

Phew, I'll get on with me whittling now :D

Jim

Jim,

being brung up in edmington reeding and riting not my strong point :D the only paper I saw as a kid was the one me chips came up in :lol:

Cheers,

Scottie.

(education, tis a wonderful fing guvnor)

Jim,

the sad thing is i worked just down the road from the Library for a couple of years and never actually went into it, bit of a missed opportunity! :(

However this was possibly because i spent much to much time in the RAF Museum instead! :)

Regards,

Scottie.