The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fricourt German Cemetery. Somme

cockney tone

Ladies and Gents,

Pal's,

I am hoping to visit Fricourt German Cemetery on the Somme in the near future, I will be paying my respects to all the men there but does anybody know of any graves of note/interesting stories in this cemetery please.

Regards,

Scottie.

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, Scottie, but there is one grave there which used to be the grave of Manfred von Richthofen, whose body was moved from his original burial-place at Bertangles. The remains were later taken to Germany.

The grave is in Plot 4, Row 7, Grave 12. An information board near the entrance to the cemetery mentions this and gives the name of the soldier whose remains are now buried in that grave.

Tom

• Admin

I don't mean to sound churlish, but surely they are all graves of note? They were all some mothers son, maybe they left a wife and children who world grow up without a father. This applies to the cemeteries of all nations. I know that one can't get to visit every grave except in small cemeteries, but spare a thought for them all.

Regards, Michelle

Scottie

If you have a look in my The Germans at Thiepval and Beaumont Hamel I have managed to identify in a little more detail about 165 of the buials in Fricourt which relate to the 26th Res Div. I know that it is only a drop in the bucket, but for German burials it is an extremely tricky and time-consuming exercise. Amongst others, I have been able to tie down two or three men who died in the operation to recapture the Schwaben Redounbt on 1 Jul 16, the company commander of 4th Coy Bavarian RIR 8, killed as he attempted to cross No Man's Land having been captured that day and Leutnant Schmeisser, who died during the final clearance of Meisengasse (Maisie Lane).

Jack

Michelle,

I agree whole heartedly with you that they are all worthy of note, you may have perhaps missed that point in post 1, I will be paying my respects to 'all the men there'!

However, personally I feel that it is helpful if you have some kind of background on at least some of the men which I feel can give you a more personal link with the past and the sad legacy it left.

Jack,

pleased to say that i have both of those books (plus the German Army on the Somme) and i am about to scuttle down stairs to trawl through them, I am hoping for an 'overnighter' at Avril's next week and hopefully will be trying a bit of the walk you have featured around Beaumont Hamel.

Thank you both,

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

• Admin

Scottie

Point taken, I was being grumpy after a rotten time at work, and missread the posting.

Regards, Michelle

Michelle,

thank you for your reply, on reflection the title I used for the thread could have been worded betterand is a bit misleading, sorry you have had a bad day at work, at least you are now among like minded Pal's on this tremendous Forum, have a good weekend,

Kind regards,

Scottie.