Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMLI records help please.

lawk66

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for my great-uncle for about a month now. Don't even know his first name, but I've reduced the search to two possibilities.

I just spent two hours going aroung national archives uk trying to get service records, but kept getting thousands of results to my searches. I'M GOING BLIND.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

All help appreciated. I'll sit quietly in corner with hat with bit D on it on my head.....

Thank you.

Laura.

Hi Laura

What have you tried to do so far?

RMLI service records are not online.

All the best

Per Mare Per Terram

Hi,

I've searched CWGC for merchant and royal navy. 3 results for merchant. eliminated all cause of age.

9 results for RN. eliminated 5 cause of age or place of birth.

Left with 4. 2 of which are RNR. As my "matey" ran away from home to join navy while under age), I think I can eliminate these as well?

Two I am left with are:

Timothy O'Connell, Pte., CH/3745. RMLI, Chatham Bn., R.N. Div date of death: 03.05.1915

William Charles O'Connell, Pte., CH/20441. RMLI, 1st R.M. Bn. R.N. Div date of death 22.03.1918

Thanks for your reply. Hope you can help.

Laura.

Laura, these are the Admiralty records for the two men:

O'CONNELL, TIMOTHY , PRIVATE, RMLI, S 374 (Ch), CHATHAM BN., ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, 03-May-15, Gallipoli DIED OF WOUNDS on Hospital Ship.

O'CONNELL, WILLIAM C., PRIVATE, RMLI, 20441 (Ch), 1st R.M. BN., ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, 22-Mar-18, KILLED.

I note that you have a slightly different service number for O'Connell T, will check.

Best wishes with your search

David

david,

Thanks a million. You guys get info so quickly.

Before I send you on wild goose chase. Service record for O'Connell, T is probably CH/374S. Sorry. I mis-read it. thought S was a 5.

Again sorry and thanks.

Laura.

O'CONNELL, TIMOTHY, RMLI CH/374S RMLI (Chatham Division): Short Service service records in ADM 159/143

O'CONNELL, ALBERT A., joined in 1912 at 15

O'CONNELL, DAVID, from Cork, joined in 1916 at declared age 19

O'CONNELL, WILLIAM C., RMLI, CH/20441 service records in ADM 159/134

O'CONNELL, DENIS, from Cork, joined in 1910 at declared age 19

O'CONNELL, THOMAS F., from Cork, joined in 1873 a bit difficult to lie about that age!

O'CONNELL, MICHAEL, SEAMAN, RNR, B 5170 reservist who had already served 5 years could be you ‘matey’ if he ran away to sea not the navy

O'CONNELL, RICHARD P., FIREMAN, Mercantile Marine Reserve, merchant seaman on a short term contract with the navycould have been you relative, but there are no service records for this reserve

O'CONNELL, GEORGE, ENGINEMAN, RNR, TS 5876, Trawler Service reservist

Wow. I'm stunned. And there was I thinking I had narrowed down search. ........ ok. well, only thing i can say is:

I think the Michael can be ruled out cause Michael was name of youngest in family (my grandad) and he was born before this "matey" (my nickname for him) ran away to enlist. (So he wasn't named in memory of him). Does that make sense?

The "matey" I'm looking for was def from Cork city, Ireland.

He had to give correct name/address cause his mother received a pension for him after his death. (which she refused btw, who knows why? but it may be important)

I don't mind trawling through records myself, but I don't know how to get their results online or otherwise.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

Laura.

Laura, there are two O'CONNELLs on the Tower Hill Memorial from Cork.

O'CONNELL, J, JOHN, Fireman, Mercantile Marine, Inniscarra (Cork), S.S., 12-May-18, 27, Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, Son of Margaret and the late David O'Connell; husband of Norah O'Connell (nee Jones), of 1, Desmond Square, Cork. Born at Cork.

O'CONNELL, L, LAURENCE, Fireman, Mercantile Marine, Inniscarra (Cork), S.S., 12-May-18, 12-May-18, 36, Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, Son of John and Ann O'Connell, of Glencarney, Rockchapel, Co. Cork.

However, if you are correct that his mother received a pension after his death then he definitely wasn't serving in the Merchant Marine.

Best wishes

David

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for my great-uncle for about a month now. Don't even know his first name, but I've reduced the search to two possibilities.

I just spent two hours going aroung national archives uk trying to get service records, but kept getting thousands of results to my searches. I'M GOING BLIND.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

All help appreciated. I'll sit quietly in corner with hat with bit D on it on my head.....

Thank you.

Laura.

Hello Laura,

There are quite a number of very knowledgeable individuals for one subject or another whom you will find within this Forum. However, as your search is for a member of the RMLI, I would suggest getting in touch with the Royal Marines Museum, Eastney, Hampshire... in the first instance. The Forum members have already supplied you first class information, so all you need do now is 'fine tune'.

Good Luck!

Seph :D

Hi to everyone,

Thank you all so much for helping.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board again for a while for me. I'll keep looking .....

Laura.

Hi to everyone,

Thank you all so much for helping.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board again for a while for me. I'll keep looking .....

Laura.

Laura,

At the Fleet Air Arm Museum there are records for:-

Chatham/374(S); O'CONNELL, T; Enlisted 07/10/1914; Discharged DOW; D.o.b. 15/06/1888; P.o.b. CORK

Chatham/20441; O'CONNELL, WC; Enlisted 10/01/1916; Discharged KIA; D.o.b. 23/11/1897; P.o.b. CHATHAM

H2

Laura,

At the Fleet Air Arm Museum there are records for:-

Chatham/374(S); O'CONNELL, T; Enlisted 07/10/1914; Discharged DOW; D.o.b. 15/06/1888; P.o.b. CORK

Chatham/20441; O'CONNELL, WC; Enlisted 10/01/1916; Discharged KIA; D.o.b. 23/11/1897; P.o.b. CHATHAM

H2

A bit more on the former: First name TIMOTHY. Born June 15th 1888, in Ballinhassig, Cork, Co. Cork. ; Mother, Norah, 4 Desmond Square, off Barrack St., Cork, Ireland.

Hi all,

I've now gone through all the great info ye've given me and this is where I stand at moment.

Possibilities:

O'CONNELL, DENIS, from Cork, joined 1910 at declared age 19. According to CWGC, he died aged 28, so too old for my guy.

O'CONNELL, THOMAS F., from Cork, joined 1873 ... think i agree ... too difficult to get away with a lie about the age.

O'CONNELL, RICHARD P., Fireman. Mercantile Marine Reserve. I think I can rule this guy out cause of pension.

O'CONNELL, GEORGE, Engineman, RNR, TS 5876 Trawler Service Reservist. According to CWGC, his age at death was 46 yrs, so I can rule him out.

Then I'm left with the following:

O'CONNELL, TIMOTHY, RMLI CH/374S (Chatham Div). ADM 159/143. Mother Norah. 4 Desmond Square, off Barrack Street, Cork.

Very possible as address where they lived was Beales Square, off Barrack St., Cork. But his parents names were Phillip and Elizabeth O'Connell (nee Barrett). but seems quite close, so I have requested a copy of record.

O'CONNELL, ALBERT A., joined in 1912 at 15. Altho he joined before outbreak of war, this is also a possibility. How would I get more information, if possible.

O'CONNELL, WILLIAM C., RMLI, CH/20441 ADM 159/134. I was quite hopeful on this guy and requested a copy of his record, but now see he is listed as born at Chatham, so probably not.

O'CONNELL, MICHAEL, Seaman, RMR, B5170 reservist ..... also a possibility I suppose.

O'CONNELL, DAVID, from Cork, joined 1916, declared age 19. Also possibility.

So, this is where I am at the moment, until I get the requested records at least.

Again, thanks for all the help everyone. I really do appreciate it. It breaks my heart that no one even remembers his name.

Laura.

O'CONNELL, THOMAS F., from Cork, joined in 1873 a bit difficult to lie about that age!

He might not be 'matey' but could he fit earlier in your family tree?

He might not be 'matey' but could he fit earlier in your family tree?

Certainly worth considering. I haven't got that far back yet. Will keep it in mind. Thanks.

Laura.

• 2 weeks later...

O'CONNELL, TIMOTHY, RMLI CH/374S (Chatham Div). ADM 159/143. Mother Norah. 4 Desmond Square, off Barrack Street, Cork.

Very possible as address where they lived was Beales Square, off Barrack St., Cork. But his parents names were Phillip and Elizabeth O'Connell (nee Barrett). but seems quite close, so I have requested a copy of record.

Hi Laura,

Is this the family that you are researching? (from the Cork Examiner 11/5/1916)

O CONNELL FAMILY, Beale’s Sq., Cork - THREE FIGHTING CORK LADS – The brothers JOHN, DAVID (Royal Irish Fusiliers), AND PATRICK O CONNELL. Patrick is connected with the Navy. The two soldier lads have seen some service fighting at the front epecially David, who was wounded at the Dardanelles. They are the sons of Mr. P. O Connell, 5 Beale’s Square, Cork.

Laura.

Nothing to add, but what an excellent effort on behalf of Laura. Well done guys.

Is this the family that you are researching? (from the Cork Examiner 11/5/1916)

O CONNELL FAMILY, Beale’s Sq., Cork - THREE FIGHTING CORK LADS – The brothers JOHN, DAVID (Royal Irish Fusiliers), AND PATRICK O CONNELL. Patrick is connected with the Navy. The two soldier lads have seen some service fighting at the front epecially David, who was wounded at the Dardanelles. They are the sons of Mr. P. O Connell, 5 Beale’s Square, Cork.

Laura.

YES, YES, YES, YIIPPPPEEEEE!!!!!!!

THAT'S THEM. Their father was Phillip O'Connell.

Oh, I can't thank you enough!!!!! I'm crying here!!!!

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

Laura.

Laura,

His records are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Per Terram

Laura,

His records are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Per Terram

Not certain of that until we know Patrick O'Connell's service number - and from the photograph it now appears he was RN ("connected with the Navy") and not RMLI

Sorry I was referring to Timothy, I'm behind the plot! My mind jumped a cog.

The following matches are for Royal Navy Patrick O'CONNELL, Cork:

Name O'Connell, Patrick

Official Number: K22532

Place of Birth: Cork

Date of Birth: 18 May 1894

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Name O'Connell, Patrick

Official Number: 203111

Place of Birth: Kinsale, Cork

Date of Birth: 24 June 1882

Joined in 1899

Sorry I was referring to Timothy, I'm behind the plot! My mind jumped a cog.

The following matches are for Royal Navy Patrick O'CONNELL, Cork:

Name O'Connell, Patrick

Official Number: K22532

Place of Birth: Cork

Date of Birth: 18 May 1894

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Name O'Connell, Patrick

Official Number: 203111

Place of Birth: Kinsale, Cork

Date of Birth: 24 June 1882

Joined in 1899

Of these two men the first was a Stoker and his enlistment papers are at the FAAM. However, those of the second man, who was a Seaman or Communications rating, are NOT at the FAAM.

Thank you all again. I have now downloaded Patrick's (or uncle Paddy, as we knew him) records. He was the first Patrick listed above. He was born in Cork city, not Kinsale, Co. Cork. Bit of luck there then, as it was easier to get his records.

Thankfully, Patrick and David survived the war.

Now I need to concentrate on John. Will perhaps post another thread when I have more information. JPC has kindly offered to e-mail a copy of the Cork Examiner article of 11/5/1916, which I await anxiously.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time and trouble to help me locate John.

Forever grateful!!!!!

Laura.

As O'Connell, Patrick, Official Number: 203111 joined in 1899 he was already excluded from this search. I just included his details for completeness.

As I noted earlier (even while missing a cog) O'Connell, Patrick Official Number: K22532's papers are in the FAAM.