Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of Regiments or Battalions - WW1

Jayenn

I am interested in finding out as much as I, reasonably, can about the men listed on the WW1 memorial tablet in a local church. The memorial only gives their names and date of death but, from the CWGC website, I can find out a little bit more – such as the regiment or battalion in which they served, where they are buried, and the exact date they died.

My question is, is there any way that I find where their battalion/regiment/brigade/ etc., was at the time of their death? I would like to get some idea as to where they, thenselves, were and the action that was going on when they died and how they might have been killed.

I have their service numbers, which I could (if I knew how!!) find more details but these men are not related to me and I can’t afford to spend too much money l (there are fifteen names in all, and I’m not rich - poor old soul, that I am!!!) looking for the information.

I’d be grateful for any help and advice as I am very interested in knowing more about them.

Jayenn

Jayenn

If you post the names a quick check on Soldiers died CD (plenty of people on here with the CD) will give you extra info.

From there we can look at for war diaries/regimental histories etc. to find out more.

Give us some names to start with. :) in fact 15 - give us them all

What local church are we talking about ?

Glyn

If any of your men were K.S.L.I., then I would be more than happy to help.

Annette

The Long, Long Trail website gives you the actions and movements of every Division of the British Army in the war. It will enable you to trace the final actions of many of your casualties; where they died in incidents in trench holding while no major action is taking place is less easy, but forum pals may be able to help from war diaries and regimental histories.

The book you want to get hold of is

British Regiments 1914 - 1918, by Brigadier. E.A. James, OBE. Published by Samson Books

ISBN 0 906304 03 2

Gareth

Two books to help:

1 - British Regiments 1914-1918 by Brig EA James (Naval & Military Press) gives cavalry and infantry regiments/battalions and their formations at different stages.

2 - A Record of the Battles & Engagements of the British Armies in France & Flanders 1914-1918 by the then Captain EA James (same publisher) gives the date by date battles etc with formations (brigade/division/corps/army) which took part.

I found both useful when doing a similar exercise. A rewarding exercise, though don't be discouraged at errors in names, ranks etc etc - they all seem to have them

Daggers

Two books to help:

1 - British Regiments 1914-1918 by Brig EA James (Naval & Military Press) gives cavalry and infantry regiments/battalions and their formations at different stages.

2 - A Record of the Battles & Engagements of the British Armies in France & Flanders 1914-1918 by the then Captain EA James (same publisher) gives the date by date battles etc with formations (brigade/division/corps/army) which took part.

I found both useful when doing a similar exercise. A rewarding exercise, though don't be discouraged at errors in names, ranks etc etc - they all seem to have them

Daggers

I have both if you need any look ups

stevem

Two books to help:

Daggers

Would also recommend Becke's 'Order of Battle' series - excellent detail on each division.

Ken

Good luck, you will find it the most frustrating, annoying and thankless task which will put a strain on your wallet your marriage your work and leave you waking at 3am with a sudden rush of inspiration. But it will give a knoweldge of men who lived in a time we can only imagine. Its also highly addictive, worthwhile and enjoyable.

Mick

A quick guide using CWGC is the location of the cemeterymemoria which would give the sector of the Western Front or elsewhere.

If any of your men were K.S.L.I., then I would be more than happy to help.

Annette

Hi Annette,

I'm rather new on this forum and still haven't quite got the hang of how to send replies or, in fact, ask questions. It seems to me to be rather complicated but it's a good site and I'm not complaing! All I want to say is that I hope you get this message!

Thanks for your offer but all the men were from a small village on the south coast of England. I know the KSLI fairly well - not because I joined but because I lived in Shropshire (Madeley, Ironbridge, and Shrewsbury) for many years (from 1948 until 1969 when we moved down to Worthing in Sussex) and friends of mine, back in the late 50s did join up. I have many fond memories of Shropshire - in fact my mother (she's 92) and my sisters still live there and my wife comes from Dawley. Me? I'm a Londoner by birth (one of the unfriendly southerners, so it's said!) and I well remember, as a child, seeing the woods in Madeley (where we first lived) for the first time and couldn't believe it because we had nothing like that in London. All those fields and those trees! I fell deeply in love - that's before I found girls, of course!

Hope you don't mind me reminiscing!

Thank you very much again for your kind offer.

John

Thanks to all for the many replies - it was overwhelming and so quick!

I need time to digest the information before I can give a proper reply but felt I must say thank you to all of you for your help. I, obviously, have more information than I gave (but not a lot) but, in order to keep the email size down and not bore too many people, I gave as much as I felt was useful!

I will look into all the suggestions and come back with more details and, probably, questions!

I'm new to the forum and still learning how to send questions and replies so may well make mistakes! Sorry about that, in advance!

Regards to all and thanks again

John

I’ve now had time to read all the replies to my email and would like to thank all of you for your advice and offers of help.

Firstly, the church is that of St. Oswald, in the village of Hooe, in East Sussex where my grandparents lived from 1895 until 1958 and where my father was born.

Secondly, on the memorial there are 13 names not 11, and there are, in addition, two men, from the village who are not mentioned on the memorial for different reasons.

I have created a list for my purposes and am sending this, with all the relevant information, in the hope that you may be able to help further.

I hope it comes out alright and isn’t too long.

Thank you all once more.

John

Name Died Service No. Age Cemetery In what Battle Rank Forces/Regiment

Miller Isaac John Not on the Memorial - Not on CWGC site Sunk off Tory Island (Ireland) H.M.S Viknor

Miller William 01-11-14 Not on CWGC site Sunk at the Battle of Coronel H.M.S. Good Hope

Hayward Arthur Charles 23-04-15 51231 32 Poperinghe Old Military Cemetery Battle of the Somme – Ypres – Hill 60 Private No 4 Coy - 16th Bn, Canadian Scottish. (Manitoba Reg.)

Plester William Ernest 16-07-15 TF/2653 17 Hooe St Oswald’s Drummer 2nd/5th B, Royal Sussex Regiment

Vitler Horace Marchant 18-09-16 123842 23 Puchevillers British Cemetery Flers Courcelette? Private Princess Patricia’s. Canadian Light Infantry.

Dodson Francis Ernest Stanley 14-11-17 47900 19 Tyne Cot Memorial Private 3rd/5th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers

Hutchinson Harry Frank 28-12-17 51764 27 Wimereux Communal Cemetery Private 11th Bn Royal Fusiliers (Service battalion)

Jones Harry 19-07-17 905203 22 Baghdad (North Gate) War Cem’y The Battle of Ramadi? Driver 1087th Bty. 215 Bde. Royal Field Artillery

Sargent William Thomas 20-06-17 G/6228 30 Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial Private 9th Royal Sussex Regiment

Vitler Robert Edward 10-10-17 34573 21 Bleuet Farm Cemetery Private 16th Bn, Middlesex Regiment

Munn Reginald Victor 03-04-18 G/8653 Pozieres Memorial Private 11th Bn. Royal Sussex Reg.

Newland Thomas 03-04-18 10827 Villers-Faucon Communal Cem’y Ext’n Private 39th Bn. Machine Gun Corps

Pocock Frank William 02-12-19 L/13651 Hooe (St Oswald’s Church) Private 1st Bn. Royal Sussex Reg

Vitler William James 09-01-19 905309 34 Baghdad (North Gate) War Cem’y Afghanistan? Q/M Sergeant 816th Batt., R. F. A.

Dennett William Alfred Harden 22-06-15 G.304 27 Erquinghem-Lys Churchyard Ext , Sergeant 6th Bn, The Buffs (East Kent Reg). 12th Division

Well, the list doesn't look as good as it did in "Word" but I think it can be understood! Hope so!

Regards,

John

From CWGC

MILLER, ISAAC JOHN

Initials: I J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: (RFR/PO/B/2710). H.M.S. "Viknor."

Date of Death: 13/01/1915

Service No: SS/53

Additional information: Son of Herbert Miller, of Hall's Cross, Hooe, Battle, Sussex; husband of Katherine Mary Miller, of 21, Turneville Rd., West Kensington, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 8.

Memorial: PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

Ian

And another:

Name: MILLER, WALTER

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: (RFR/PO/B/4590). H.M.S. "Good Hope."

Date of Death: 01/11/1914

Service No: SS/103698

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 4.

Memorial: PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

Ian

John

Some extra details from SDGW cd.

Plester William Ernest - enlisted Hastings - died at home.

Dodson Francis Ernest Stanley - Born Bexhill, enlisted Hastings, KIA.

Hutchinson Harry Frank - Born Hove, enlisted Bexhill, Residence Battle, DOW.

Jones Harry - Born Battle, enlisted Hastings, Died Mesopotamia.

Vitler Robert Edward - Born Hove , enlisted Bexhill, Residence Hove, DOW.

Munn Reginald Victor - Born Hastings, enlisted Bexhill, KIA.

Newland Thomas - Born Hastings, enlisted Tunbridge Wells, DOW.

Dennett William Alfred Harden - Born Bexhill, enlisted Canterbury, residence Bexhill. KIA.

There's a few I can't find (yet) - those who died in 1919 are unlikely to show on SDGW and it won't give details of the Canadians.

For now

Glyn

One more

Sargent William Thomas (Thomas William) - born Hollington, enlisted Chichester, KIA.

Glyn

John

Now to the possible war diaries -

Plester William Ernest 16-07-15 TF/2653 17 Hooe St Oswald’s Drummer 2nd/5th B, Royal Sussex Regiment.

The 2nd/5th remained in the UK throughout the war - see here

http://www.1914-1918.net/sussex.htm

Think the best thing you can do now is take each one on its own and post asking for details of the reg/battalion on the specific dates.

Have you thought about the Medal Index Cards which can be downloaded for the NA for 3.50 each.

Glyn

The Canadians have had considerable foresight in making their records accessible via the internet (and, unlike our own archives, for free!!!), the attestation papers of the two 'Canadians' can be found by clicking the links below....

123842 Horace Vitler

51231 Arthur Charles Hayward

There's also an additional link on the attestation pages where you can order their full service records if required.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Jayenn

I will help along the way,but for the moment will urge you,once you have found all the details,to make a pilgrimage to the 11 Western Front graves/memorials to your village fallen. You could do it over a weekend as a minimum. I did this for 23 of my village (Swanmore, Hants),with my brother, last November. It is a very sobering and moving experience,and one that I'm glad I did.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Jayenn

The first man on your list,lost on HMS VIKNOR on 13/1/1915 off Ireland. Take a read of the thread here in SHIPS AND NAVIES last posted yesterday (22nd) at 3.38pm. This will give you a bit of his story.

Sotonmate