Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Forces in the UK

Cotswolder

During my research for a friend I have found that her grandmother married a Canadian soldier in Folkestone in July 1916. From information received I know that he signed up in Canada in November 1915 before coming over.

Can anyone tell me where the Canadian forces were billeted when they first arrived. The story is that the couple met in Gloucester Hospital.

Were the Canadian troops ever in this part of the country ?

Were the Canadian troops ever in this part of the country ?

Hi Cotswolder, the Canadians were mostly gathered at Shorncliffe, before joining the action in France. Think that's just along the coast from Folkestone.

regards

Norrette

Hi Cotswolder, the Canadians were mostly gathered at Shorncliffe, before joining the action in France. Think that's just along the coast from Folkestone.

regards

Norrette

Thanks Norette,

That would fit with their marriage. Can't think why he would have been in Gloucestershire ??

Regards, Bruce

It was customary for Canadians newly arrived to be given ten days or so leave anywhere in the U.K. I presume this was because so many of them were British born and wanted to visit relatives. In addition, if a man took sick and had to be sent to hospital, he might be sent anywhere there was space. At first, the Canadian hospital system in England was somewhat disorganized. The hospital question can be resolved from the man's service record, but not always the leave issue.

I do not know everything about this. Perhaps we have a genuine expert lurking about.

Cotswolder

You can find this man's Attestation Paper on line here http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/cef/index-e.html

just enter his name after clicking "Search" in the left navigation bar.

If you don't have his Regimental Number, and if you can find the right person, it will tell you what it is and then you can order copies of his service records (usually about 20 pages) from the Library and Archives Canada here http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archiviane...42-130-e.html#h

Not sure what they charge per page nowadays, but they take credit cards. The service file will then tell you precisely where he was in hospital.