Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ethel Mary E Wilkinson.

Bob Coulson

This lady appears on Middlesbrough war memorial, found her born Stockton on the census which is local but no sign on CWGC.

I know it's a long shot but if anyone has any info on her I would be grateful.

Bob.

This lady appears on Middlesbrough war memorial, found her born Stockton on the census which is local but no sign on CWGC.

I know it's a long shot but if anyone has any info on her I would be grateful.

Bob.

Bob, Sometimes war memorials commemorate all those that served from an area and not just those that died. Have you checked the wording of the preamble to see if it mentions that those listed actually died. On your main enquiry I have no Ethel Mary E. Wilkinson as having been a casualty (I have a fairly complete listing). The RASC notation seems wrong as this was a male unit although I have seen a CWGC headstones showing this because the lady was attached to them. I would welcome receiving a photograph of her name on the Middlesborough war memorial if it is possible to add to my Register that I am preparing. Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the interest.

The memorial is definitely for those who gave their lives but wasn't unveiled until November 1922 so I have quite a few names not on CWGC as they probably died after August 1921 and I assume this lady will probably fall into this category.

When I get organised with photographs I will send you the relevant panel picture.

Bob.

Could she have been Forage Corps? They worked for/under the ASC from about 1915 onwards. There is a female Forage Corps member listed on the memorial in York Minster.

I have done a small amount of research into Forage Corps, so feel this is probably where she was. If she was "proper army" I would expect her to be listed as WAAC. However it was up to the locals what they put on memorials.

Hope Im not sending you off on a tangent.

Could she have been Forage Corps? They worked for/under the ASC from about 1915 onwards. There is a female Forage Corps member listed on the memorial in York Minster.

I have done a small amount of research into Forage Corps, so feel this is probably where she was. If she was "proper army" I would expect her to be listed as WAAC. However it was up to the locals what they put on memorials.

Hope Im not sending you off on a tangent.

There are 18 Forage Corps casualties according to the list on the York Minster panels and this lady isn't one of them.

• 1 month later...
Jim,

Have sent you a picture of her name on the memorial.

Bob.

Bob, Safely received. Many thanks, Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

Tonights local paper carries the following,

"The Only Woman To Be Listed,

Ethel Wilkinson from North Ormesby died on February 11th 1919 from pneumonia.

The RAMC member died in Ripon and was 26, mysteriously she is buried in Bradford."

This info comes from a local guy who is also looking into Middlesbrough memorial, thought you might be interested.

Doesn't say where he got his info from however.

Bob.

Bob

Death Registered March Quarter 1919 Ripon Registration District

Ethel M. E. Wilkinson aged 26 years (9a 134)

Birth Registered Sept Qtr 1892 Stockton RD - Ethel Mary E Wilkinson

1901 Census

Old Longlands Farm, Grove Hill, Middlesborough

William Wilkinson, Head, 39, Farmer, Yorkshire Shelton

Mary A Wilkinson, Wife, 43, Durham Hartlepool

Leonard Wilkinson, Son, 12, Durham Norton

Raymond H(oward) Wilkinson, Son, 11, Durham Norton

Ethel M(ary) E. Wilkinson, Dau, 8, Durham Norton

Thomas F(abien) S. Wilkinson, Son, 7m, Yorkshire Middlesbrough

Regards

Pam