Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Matron or Nurse

Sullivan

For those Forum members interested in the Red Cross. Is the person in the photo a Matron or Nurse.

post-148-1174462383.jpg

On the reverse of the photo is simply written "from the Commandant - Palace Hospital".

This photo is from the memorabilia collection of a WW1 soldier, wounded and sent to hospital somewhere in England.

http://royalmunsterfusiliers.net/b4croad3.htm

Sullivan.

Technically, she is neither. She is a VAD, a meber of a voluntary aid detachment. She would have had some first aid training and wears the British Red Cross Society's qualification cross, but she was not technically a trained nurse.

If the inscription is correct, she was a VAD Commandant in charge of a VAD detachment.

NGG

Technically, she is neither. She is a VAD, a meber of a voluntary aid detachment. She would have had some first aid training and wears the British Red Cross Society's qualification cross, but she was not technically a trained nurse.

If the inscription is correct, she was a VAD Commandant in charge of a VAD detachment.

NGG

Thank you so much, the information provided will now allow me to correct details on my web page.

post-148-1174504019.jpg

If you can help me further. Is this medal down downloaded from Ebay, the British Red Cross Society's qualification cross.

Sullivan.

Nor quite here is a helpful link

http://www.redcross.org.uk/standard.asp?id=45483

Many thanks for the link address, one thing that bothers me now having looked at the medals on that web site, is I think the stripes on the medal ribbon in the photo are horizontal, my eyes are not good, at first I took them for deep folds in the ribbon but I think they are stripes.

Can you offer any further comments on that point.

Regards,

Sullivan.

Sullivan , they are not stripes but extra bars earned for example for first aid or "year bars". Gareth

Gareth,

Many thanks, did notice a medal on Ebay with bars.

Cheers,

Sullivan.