Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Troop Ships to Egypt - Alexandria

londons

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if information exists on the movements of regiments in troop ships from the UK to Egypt? I imagine that the most common port of destination was probably Alexandria.

I was told that a lot of reserve battalions of regiments were shipped from the UK to Egypt around 1917 and that these included soldiers drafted into the 1st Royal Warwickshire Garrison Battalion?

My gg grandfather was originally in the 6th Londonsand we believe his first overseas posting was to the 1st Garrison Battalion Royal Warwickshire regiment in 1917.

Do any records of movements exist?

Many thanks if you can help.

Lee

Lee

There may be some information in the War Diary of the 1st Garrison Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment which could help you. This Diary is at the National Archives, Kew, under WO95/4444 and covers the period from arrival in Alexandria in August 1914 to March 1918. It may show arrivals of each reinforcement on the day that they occur. If you weren't visiting and looking for free you could buy the relevant months you need on line via The Catalogue's Digital Express Service,which is a 24 hour facility.

There are additional War Diaries too. WO95/4732 covers Sept 1918 to June 1919,and WO95/4456 covers April to August 1918.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Lee

There may be some information in the War Diary of the 1st Garrison Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment which could help you. This Diary is at the National Archives, Kew, under WO95/4444 and covers the period from arrival in Alexandria in August 1914 to March 1918. It may show arrivals of each reinforcement on the day that they occur. If you weren't visiting and looking for free you could buy the relevant months you need on line via The Catalogue's Digital Express Service,which is a 24 hour facility.

There are additional War Diaries too. WO95/4732 covers Sept 1918 to June 1919,and WO95/4456 covers April to August 1918.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Many thanks for your help