Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

After the War

Strachan

As I have mentioned before, my Great Grandfather Robert J. Strachan (1891-1953), enlisted for war duties in 1914. After the war, however, he remained in the army for at least 6 years until 1924. This seems off given that he was not a professional soldier.

He served with the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders, still a private in 1924. Does anyone know where this battalion was in service.

I have tried to gain his service records but just detest the Ancestry site. Generally sends me round in circles.

Any help would be appriciated.

This seems off given that he was not a professional soldier.

Not really. Given that there was not a shedload of work around; he'd possibly got a taste it; and that it was quite a good time now that no-one was trying to kill him every day.

Presumably the regimental museum @ Aberdeen would have details of the the battalion's post war movements

John

(PS: you won't find his records on Ancestry. I think you have to apply to the MoD for them)

I believe one officer was heard to remark at the Armistice "Thank God that`s over. Now we can get back to real soldiering". Which to me means - b*llsh*t! Phil B

Phil,

It Could just be the military art of humour, having just survived four years of hell!

Rob ;)

Not really. Given that there was not a shedload of work around; he'd possibly got a taste it; and that it was quite a good time now that no-one was trying to kill him every day.

Presumably the regimental museum @ Aberdeen would have details of the the battalion's post war movements

John

(PS: you won't find his records on Ancestry. I think you have to apply to the MoD for them)

I know that they have some records. I thought that they might have his due to the fact that he signed up in 1914 rather than the 1920's.

For those of you that have seen WW1 records, would it be worth apply for them? Do they generally give alot of information? I know that some were destroyed during WW2.

I know that they have some records. I thought that they might have his due to the fact that he signed up in 1914 rather than the 1920's.

For those of you that have seen WW1 records, would it be worth apply for them? Do they generally give alot of information? I know that some were destroyed during WW2.

I believe the MoD have all records for soldiers who served after 1920 the date of their signing up is irrelevent.

I would say it is definately worthwhile obtaining the records. They have the coplete list of overseas posting, promotions, attestation papers etc and one I have seen had all the guy's disciplinary records (WW1, between the wars and WW2) and comments on his entitlemts to service chevrons and wound stripe etc.

Well worth it IMHO

Peter

I believe the MoD have all records for soldiers who served after 1920 the date of their signing up is irrelevent.

I would say it is definately worthwhile obtaining the records. They have the coplete list of overseas posting, promotions, attestation papers etc and one I have seen had all the guy's disciplinary records (WW1, between the wars and WW2) and comments on his entitlemts to service chevrons and wound stripe etc.

Well worth it IMHO

Peter

That does sound worth it.

I'll give it a go.