Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Salient

Sgt York

In May this year I'm travelling to Belqium to retrace my grandfather's battalion (2nd East Yorks) movements around Wipers and visit family members graves.

I'll be staying in Ostend and would like to know the quickest form of public transport from Ostend to Ieper. Can anyone help with this information.

Ronnie.

Dear Ronnie,

The best thing to do really if you wish to visit the battlefield sites is to hire a car as public transport will not take you to the places of interest concering WW I in the Salient. In case you are reluctant to drive a car on the continent I would advice you to cover the distance from Ostend to Ypres by train and then book a guided tour in Ypres. During the touristic season, 2 compagnies are offering guided tours of the Salient daily.

Hope this answers your question.

Charlotte

Hello,

I just did a quick check at the website from the belgian railway company

NMBS site : www.nmbs.be and the trip to Ieper will take about 2.1O hours.

You got to change trains at Kortrijk. Maybe you can check the site yourself, because it is also in English

pascal bastiaens

If you catch a bus/train from Ostend to Brugge (20 - 30 minutes),you'll find a company in Brugge (Quasimodo tours) that does daily battlefield tours amongst other things such as beer tours,abbey tours,etc..Info can be found at the tourist information centre (behind the town square).

If you decide on the train to Ieper ,as mentioned via Kortrijk,you can hire bikes from the train station.I did this many times during my "backpacking youth" without any problems.In fact,I'd say that armed with prior knowledge and/or decent books and maps,cycling is by far the best way to see the battlefields.

Incidentally,the Belgian rail service is excellent (if it says the train leaves at 8:01am,then it LEAVES at 8:01am!!!).

Charlotte, Pascal, and Croonaert,

Many thanks for your helpful information.

I've checked out the timetables on www.nmbs.be - the frequency of trains to Ieper is excellent, and taking onboard your suggestions for the four full days I have, I'll commute to Ieper by train (bright 'n' early), take one official tour and hire a bike for the rest of my time there. I'm already suitably armed with maps and Holt's guide on the Ypres Salient and devouring anything I find on the net with regards to the area. I'll also check out the cost of hiring a car, in case of 'saddle soreness'!

I'm really looking forward to going and want to see as much of the area as is possible. The preparations and planning for the trip is very exciting, and to be where my grandfathers trod 88 years previous will be, I'm sure a very emotional experience.

Kind regards,

Ronnie.

P.S. Croonaert - Maybe Belgium Railways should take over the running of our rail network...

Hello,

I don't want to spoil the fun, but I have other experiences with Belgian trains...

Jan

Jan,

Your not spoiling the fun, it just adds to the excitement.

I just hope Belgian trains don't employ 'Pork Pie Revivers' in their buffet cars, similiar to British railway buffet cars.

Ronnie.

If you are fit enough to take a bike, you might also think about doing some walking - there are some good walks to be had around Ypres - the area around the Bluff and Hill 60 are particularly good for that, and I am sure Jan could give you the route of his Gheluvelt walk.

I must say I have also had mixed experiences on Belgian trains, but they are generally better than French local trains, where everything has been sacrificed to the god of TGVs!! :(

Forgive me if I've missed something, Sgt. York, but why not stay in Ypres? It would save you what looks like 4 hours per day travelling to and fro. Besides, Ypres is a much nicer place to stay than Ostende!

Alvin Cullum York aka Gary Cooper, Pall Mall, Tennessee, been to his church, school, house , grave many times know his family, America's greatest hero of WW1. I had a WFA seminar there in 2000.

Sergeant, also get Paul Reed's Walking the Salient, Battleground Europe series I think. It's specific to walking.