Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harrison Crater

smilingsixth

Has anybody got ANY infomation about Harrison Crater, when it was created, fighting, is it still there, if not when filled in and has anyone got a photo of it. In short any details at ll.

Many thanks - Simon Lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Resurrecting an old topic, does anyone know whether Harrison's crater appears on any trench maps in the area south west of Loos area? It was referred to in a battalion diary for April 1916.

Moriaty

Harrison's Crater appears on the 36CSW1 Lens Map 04.08.1916 in Square M6c. Can't see any reference to it prior to that date. Dave

Hope this is what you require...(Linesman)....

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-25787200-1314636110.jpg

• 2 years later...

Tom - thank you for posting a copy of the map.

Just sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

Simon

• 8 months later...

To resurrect this this topic again. This information has all been great! My great-Uncle fought at Harrison crater, and I'm trying to put together some information about it for some of my cousins. I found an amazing photograph of Harrison Crater: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/gwa/item/4031?bt=europeanaapi

Does anybody else know of any other photographs/sketches of Harrison Crater or other craters in the area?

• 6 years later...

good morning,

here are some pictures  & postal card of Harrison Crater :

DSC_0008.JPG.a4fa4cf1d206757ca5dac679e3a1092a.JPGDSC_0010.JPG.e3d9779aa8a0051c32622337f05ee183.JPGDSC_0011.JPG.def8266833a47deabeb389e2a265b297.JPG863716541_loosengohelle(47).jpg.e3587b325456aeb69213f7035592dcbb.jpg

now, it's the junction of National 43 and the mining ring road (West Lens) at Loos.

The family home is only 100 metres away.

regards

michel

DSC_0009.JPG

There is a sketch of Harrison's and Hart's Craters in the 1916 WD of 26 Field Co RE, 1 Div. (attached courtesy TNA - Ancestry). The map is upside down but Tom's 2011 map above shows them. The 1 Div CRE gives the co ordinates as Hart's M 6 c 8 9 and Harrison's M 6 c 2 6

Operations against the two craters in February 1916 are covered in the WDs of 26 FC, 3rd Infantry Brigade, 1 Div, who made two assaults on 19/02/1916 against both and on 26/02/1916 against Harts. There are reports of both attacks attached to the WD. 

173 Tunnelling Co RE was also active in support of those ops.

Brian

26 FC.jpg

good evening,

thank's a lot for your map en any information.

here is the different map about this crater :

1657978961_HarrisonHartsCrater-1916.jpg.37ebf1494843dda44f42fa214cb99b98.jpg

1359952070_HarrisonHartsCrater-1916.........jpg.931a5c7d4b99b3a5b764f55b7f6d31a0.jpg

1369159829_HarrisonHartsCrater-1916....jpg.ed4b2d3f6dd8b26764982498222ea92c.jpg

regards

michel

Thanks for the overlays. I wonder if those houses on the Rue Roger Salerno have experienced any subsidence. They look sturdy enough on Street View.

Five years now since I was at the museum at Loos and met Roger and Fredo. 

The images below are from the map of Loos Sheet 36 C NW. I left my copy with Roger and bought another at the bookshop at Kew on the way home.  The position of the craters is just off the map below G 36 c. The second image is from IGN 2405 E 1:25 000 Lens and the position of the craters can be plotted from the above overlays.

Brian

001.JPG

002.JPG

good morning,

I know this area very well because I am from Loos and the family home is only 100m away.
I knew this undedified area in the early 1980s.
At Harrison Crater's location, there is the Lidl store.
and Harts Crater, it encompasses part of Roger Salengro Street and some houses.
the "nursery" is now under the ring road just like the quarry.

This afternoon, I'll take pictures of the location of the two craters.

on the other hand, I have reconsulted the marching and operational logs of the French regiments.
and I found traces of saps digging among the Germans in the nursery area at the end of October 1915.
all the time that the French are on this sector, there is no trace of mine explosion.
certainly occurred when the British took over the sector in January 1916.

Kind regards

Michel

002.JPG.c50f079c57741ab694920a72c186946d.jpg.d72f28cfbe9c74a6efe6d87db5c1fd37.jpg

Edited by battle of loos

here is a photo taken at the quarry not far from Harts Crater.
at the bottom the village of Loos ravaged and on the right the Tower Bridge :

114084961_DSC_0009-Copie.JPG.60720f48efd4b4144d50679b1d76d068.JPG

regards

michel

Michel

Thank you for the photographs and the overlays on the IGN map. I have read about the craters a few times so it is good to see photos. Also apologies for reading Google Maps Fr and Street View as Rue Roger Salerno (I did not think that it sounded French). I have just checked again and of course it is Roger Salengro. I have educated myself as to who Roger Salengro was. Former Mayor of Lille among other things.

Brian

• 3 years later...

well 21 years later ... Harrison's crater was created on 22 Jan 1916 at Loos.

I am researching Private 12272 Walter Henry BROWN of the 11tn Bn Hampshire's - he died of wounds on 23rd January 1916 and was wounded during the occupation of a crater caused by the defensive explosion of a mine to destroy a mine being dug by the German's on 22nd January. It was dug and exploded by the 173rd Tunnelling Company and the crater was occupied by a mixed force of the 21st London and 11th Hampshire Regiments.

On 23rd Jan 1916 the Major General Commanding 47th (London) Division ordered that the crater be known as Harrison's Crater.

11th Battalion War Diary:

"Mine exploded about point M.6.a.0.1 with object of destroying enemy mine - report below. The operations were considered to be successful. The O.C centre was ordered to detail two parties to occupy the near edge of the crater & to consolidate it by dawn. Each party to consist of 5 Grenadiers, 1 officer, 2 sappers & 15 riflemen.

Lt Donnithorne was selected as the officer for the party and the men were found by the 21st London Regt. In addition a reserve party of one officer (2nd Lt Wire) & 25 NCO's & men of Hants Pioneers were held in readiness in the Enclosure. The Right party (Lt Donnithorne) was ordered immediately after the explosion to clear the trenches of debris & consolidate the crater. Immediately after the explosion Lt Donnisthorne ordered the party to enter the crater and clear trench & construct new on on the inner edge.

This party immediately came under close direct fire from the German rifles and guns. The enemy kept up sending flares continuously and the whole place was as light as day showing up the party against the white ?. At 2.45am Lt Donnithorne telephoned Lt Wire for 10 men who were immediately sent up under Cpl Atkins, 2nd Lt Wire bringing up the remainder himself at 3.15am. Lt Donnithorne was wounded in the leg at 3am & 7 men of the 21st London Regiment & five of the 11th Hants reserve party were casualties".

47th (London) Division Report of Operations:

"At 2am we exploded a defensive mine at M.6.a.1½.1 and occupied and consolidated near the edge of the crater. The Germans sent up red and green rockerts immediately but their artillery did not open fire until 2.20am. Most of the German fire was directed on the reserve trenches - especially in Maroc Section. Many shells were blind.

It is reported that the German mine was damaged and will probably be unfit for use in the immediate future. The Crater will be known as Harrison's Crater"

There are other documents in the 11th Battalion Hampshire's war diary that deal with the crater should you wish to read them. I have not found any mention of the name Harrison and this is the 173rd's war diary
image.png.1178ce957d4064bca79c8809b9d7f02f.png

9 minutes ago, ianshuter said:

well 21 years later ... Harrison's crater was created on 22 Jan 1916 at Loos.

I am researching Private 12272 Walter Henry BROWN of the 11tn Bn Hampshire's - he died of wounds on 23rd January 1916 and was wounded during the occupation of a crater caused by the defensive explosion of a mine to destroy a mine being dug by the German's on 22nd January. It was dug and exploded by the 173rd Tunnelling Company and the crater was occupied by a mixed force of the 21st London and 11th Hampshire Regiments.

On 23rd Jan 1916 the Major General Commanding 47th (London) Division ordered that the crater be known as Harrison's Crater.

11th Battalion War Diary:

"Mine exploded about point M.6.a.0.1 with object of destroying enemy mine - report below. The operations were considered to be successful. The O.C centre was ordered to detail two parties to occupy the near edge of the crater & to consolidate it by dawn. Each party to consist of 5 Grenadiers, 1 officer, 2 sappers & 15 riflemen.

Lt Donnithorne was selected as the officer for the party and the men were found by the 21st London Regt. In addition a reserve party of one officer (2nd Lt Wire) & 25 NCO's & men of Hants Pioneers were held in readiness in the Enclosure. The Right party (Lt Donnithorne) was ordered immediately after the explosion to clear the trenches of debris & consolidate the crater. Immediately after the explosion Lt Donnisthorne ordered the party to enter the crater and clear trench & construct new on on the inner edge.

This party immediately came under close direct fire from the German rifles and guns. The enemy kept up sending flares continuously and the whole place was as light as day showing up the party against the white ?. At 2.45am Lt Donnithorne telephoned Lt Wire for 10 men who were immediately sent up under Cpl Atkins, 2nd Lt Wire bringing up the remainder himself at 3.15am. Lt Donnithorne was wounded in the leg at 3am & 7 men of the 21st London Regiment & five of the 11th Hants reserve party were casualties".

47th (London) Division Report of Operations:

"At 2am we exploded a defensive mine at M.6.a.1½.1 and occupied and consolidated near the edge of the crater. The Germans sent up red and green rockerts immediately but their artillery did not open fire until 2.20am. Most of the German fire was directed on the reserve trenches - especially in Maroc Section. Many shells were blind.

It is reported that the German mine was damaged and will probably be unfit for use in the immediate future. The Crater will be known as Harrison's Crater"

There are other documents in the 11th Battalion Hampshire's war diary that deal with the crater should you wish to read them. I have not found any mention of the name Harrison and this is the 173rd's war diary
image.png.1178ce957d4064bca79c8809b9d7f02f.png

Our page for Private Brown https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3362:pte-wh-brown&catid=16:the-men-who-fell-in-ww1

good evening,

thank's for the history.

regards

michel