Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dunsterforce - Persia 1918; Nicol & Nimmo- NZ

christine liava'a

Recently I was contacted on behalf of Mr Gaby Ziwarkis of Australia to research 2 NZ soldiers who fought in Dunsterforce in North Persia in 1918 - RK Nicol and Alexander Nimmo, as he wishes to commemorate them on behalf of the Assyrians whom they strove to help.

The result is http://www.assyrianlevies.com/about4.html

The whole website- Assyrian Levies- is very interesting. Dunsterforce was a little known unit even at the time.

Mr Zwarkis has already commemorated Captain Savige of Australia, and intends to do similarly with the 2 NZers.

Christine - thanks for sharing this link - I've earmarked it for when I find the time to read one of my recent acquisitions: "Persian Expedition" - The Australians in Dunsterforce 1918 (by Alan Stewart).

Both Nicol & Nimmo get a mention - and I'm sure your research will help round out their stories.

Cheers, Frev

• 3 years later...

Update;

The Assyrian Levies Association of Australia is going to commemorate Kenneth Niccol of the Wellington Regiment at a function to be held at Trentham Camp, Wellington on 18 April.

I will be attending, from Auckland, so will let you know what happens.

Christine

I wonder if the 14th Hussars will get a mention. I was contacted by an Australian Assyrian Assc recently for some research. It would be interesting to hear any follow up.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if the 14th Hussars will get a mention. I was contacted by an Australian Assyrian Assc recently for some research. It would be interesting to hear any follow up.

No they weren't , but it wasn't appropriate in the circumstances.

TV news item

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/assyrians-...o-3470995/video

I invited Zacknz who had looked up the records, and he also attended.

Photos later.