Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Her Privates We - Manning

Risby

Highly praised (and promoted) by T E Lawrence, Manning's account of the daily toil of an articulate potential officer was released in this expurgated version to avoid offence. Manning's soldiers swear and 'curse the staff for incompetent swine'.

... released in this expurgated version to avoid offence ...

The review is suggestive of a jacket note for a particular edition. There is no need to mess around with Bowdlerised versions. The paperback edition published in 1999 by Serpent’s Tail restores all the cuts and sanitisations made when the privately published The Middle Parts of Fortune was released commercially as Her Privates We. The name is retained for the restored edition because it had become so well known and recognised. I understand the uncensored version had been available for quite a while before the Serpent’s Tail edition came out.

• 4 weeks later...

Frederick Manning was born in Sydney in 1882. He was privately tutored and moved to the UK in 1903.

In 1914 he joined the 7th Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry as a private.

Some time later, I'm not sure how but it was 1917, he joined the 3rd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment.

He died in England in the 1930's.

The best and most authentic novel to have come out of the Great War. Blunden, Sassoon and Graves read vapid compared to this. Read it!

• 11 months later...

I noticed this book was on several people's list of the best WWI books they read, so I thought I'd bring this thread up to see if spurs some discussion....

The best book to come out of the war, written by someone who was in it, if you ask me. All the more remarkable because the book was nothing like Manning's other work. The majority of Manning's writing is super-intellectual philosophical stuff full of obscure classical references, meticulously-written but rather hard going.

Peter Davies, the publisher - the original Peter Pan - virtually shut Manning away while he wrote the book, taking away each day's writing before Manning could correct it. Manning was notorious for re-writing over and over again, so that hardly anything got finished. The result was a book straight from the heart, with no attempt to re-write it and turn it into "art."

Tom

Although a novel, the "warts and all" version is just how I'd imagine ordinary citizen soldiers would have spoken and behaved in the war. Too many books were written from the point of view of the upper classes-they have their merits-but earthiness- a quality of the common man is often missing. Edwin Campion Vaughan captures some of the earthiness in Some Desperate Glory, but his peers seemed to regard him as a bit of an "odd fellow".

Irreverent, bawdy, grumbling and loyal to their mates- that's how I hope my

Great Grandfather and his fellow Lonsdales were. True sons of Cumberland.

• 2 weeks later...

"Middle parts of fortune," is a fantastic book. It's the only war novel I've read which captures the real "feel" of the military.

My favorite book from the Allied side.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...