Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNR Research

the gunners dream

Hi there,

I'm not as hot on RN, +RNVR and RNR as I am Army records etc. A friend of mine has asked about his Grandfather who served in the RNR in WWI and has British War Medal. His service details are:

2974 D.A.E. Botwright Engn RNR.(This came from the medal rim).

Is there a link for the NA that I can try and trace him? I've tried a number of options myself in BT and ADM records, but can't find anything can anyone enlighten me?

Is this the only source that I can use? ADM 171/120 or is there anything I can pull out online at the NA site?

Many thanks,

Steve

His medals will be on the medal roll ADM 171/120, on microfilm (in alphbetical order).

A copy of his service card is in BT 377/7, on microfiche (in service number order). Just to confuse you the medal namers swapped the prefix letters to be suffixes and have not given much of a break between those letters and Botwright's initials! Double check his number on the medal roll, because the rank and the letters are not compatible.

RNR prefixes

A, B, C, D. E = seamen on their first, second, third, forth and fifth enrollment. so the same man could have the numbers A1, B1, C1, D1, and E1 (but usually their numbers were completely different each enrollment). 5th enrollments were rare.

S, T, U, V. W = stokers on their first, second, third, forth and fifth enrollment.

EA, EB, EC = Engine Room Artificers on their first, second, third enrollment.

MC = Mine Clearance Service

WTS = Wireless Operators

RNR (Trawler Sections)

DA = Deck Hands ; SD = Deck Hands (Special Trawler Section); DE = Deck Hands (Trawler Reserve Emergency Section)

ES = Enginemen; EX = Enginemen (Trawler Reserve Emergency Section)

SA = Second Hands; SE = Second Hands (Trawler Reserve Emergency Section)

SB = Boys; BE = Boys (Trawler Reserve Emergency Section); SBC = Boy Cooks

TS = Trimmers; ST = Trimmers (Special Trawler Section); TE = Trimmers (Trawler Reserve Emergency Section)

CE = Trimmer Cooks (Trawler Reserve Emergency Section)

WSE = Skippers (Trawler Reserve Emergency Section)

RNR (miscellaneous)

AS = Ratings in the Australian section

F = Ratings in the Maltese section

L = Ratings in the Shetland section

Many thanks for that.

Steve