Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Fusilier Marins 1915 - unpainted!

Dan Morton

Background: The pose and setting were taken from an often published wartime photo of two Poilus in a similar 'hasty' 1915 trench forward position. I changed the figures to Fusilier Marins. In the trench are some "home-made' 1915 grenades - TNT sticks, wood paddles, wire and fuses and a trench periscope made from basswood with shiny metal strips for mirrors top and bottom. You'll notice that, as in the wartime photo, they've used their rifles to hold up the periscope. (Something leads me to believe these lads were not in the front line.)

Marine 1

Blue seaman’s cap with red top knot and white thin chin strap

M1898 double-breasted 8 brass buttons dark blue greatcoat with no pockets, four seamed epaulettes with brass buttons on each shoulder, fold back coat wings

Green handkerchief above collar of great coat

M1886/93 Lebel rifle, three shot clip, bolt action, 8 mm caliber and distinctive thin triangular bayonet in holder

M1892 haversack, greenish grey x 2 removed from each soldier

M1877 one liter water bottle, covered in light grey blue cloth hung up on tree root

M1915 corduroy trousers of pantalon-culotte style, loose in the thigh and tight from the knee down, reddish brown with wide wale cords

Puttees in dark blue

M1912 brown boots

Marine 2

Dressed in similar fashion and with same equipment, patterned red and white handkerchief above collar of great coat, M1915 trousers in medium grey, M1877 water bottle in dark blue, putties grey

These figures will be painted by a Dutch figure painter, Marc Megroot. Hopefully, I can entice Marc into letting me post the painted results in a couple of months.

Hope you like it!

post-4473-1174094797.jpg

post-4473-1174094807.jpg

post-4473-1174094817.jpg

Dan Morton

They're both smiling Owen. Possibly the wine ration just came round and the corporal gave them a double? I think the chubbier fella looks a bit Hemingway-ish in the face, what do you think? I'm posting some photos of the fellas at an earlier stage.

Thanks for your comment! :)

All the best,

Dan

post-4473-1174472395.jpg

post-4473-1174472449.jpg