Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunroom

IanA

I have a copy of Christopher Craddock's wonderful 'Whispers from the Fleet'. Inside, it bears the legend 'Gunroom, HMS Liverpool'.

Am I correct in thinking that this was the naval equivalent to a common-room or army mess? Would it be for officers or seamen?

a small area on a lower deck set aside for social use by midshipmen, often in the fo'cl'sle (bows of a ship).

seems like the mess

Gunroom = a mess for the Midshipmen

Wardroom = a mess for the senior officers

Thanks muchly. Didn't know 'snotties' (hope I've got the terminology correct) had a mess of their own. I hope the ones in HMS Liverpool benefitted from the wisdom and humour contained therein.

Would the ship's ratings have agreed about the sense of humour??

Did this gunroom have any association with guns or was the terminology left over from sailing days? It obviously had a stocked library.

Ian,

The origins are; it was were the Small Arms would be kept and be Aft on the Lower Gundeck. Presided over by the Chief Gunner, normally a fearsome creature who maybe didn't have a sence of humour.

Regards Charles

Many thanks Charles. Despite having ancestors who were lightship masters, schooner captains, lifeboat superintendants, fishermen, harpooners, branch pilots, bargemen and stewards, none of them were navy men!

Ian