Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battleship Texas

ackimzey

Thanks, Ann. Not quite like restoring an old car then! Phil B

PS Everywhere I go in the USA they seem to have a restored warship. How many have you got?

PS Everywhere I go in the USA they seem to have a restored warship. How many have you got?

They are huge tourist attractions and bring in a good amount of money. Cities will fight tooth and nail to get a ship like the Texas. Here's the USS Batfish which is in Oklahoma.

batfis2.jpg

Hi,

That's interesting to me, because my father served right alongside the Texas off Omaha beach on D-Day in the Royal Naval cruiser HMS Glasgow.

I've wanted to visit her in the (perhaps unlikely) event I was ever in the Lone Star State...so far havent got closer than the Canary Islands!

My Dad's sister ship HMS Belfast is open to the public in London, and very lucky we are to have a WW2 warship saved for us to see in the UK, considering the massive selling and scrapping of most of the rest of the Fleet.

Thanks for the news.

LST_164

They are huge tourist attractions and bring in a good amount of money. Cities will fight tooth and nail to get a ship like the Texas. Here's the USS Batfish which is in Oklahoma.

batfis2.jpg

Now..

Is this just poor parking or are you having a bit of a drought?

:rolleyes:

Dave

thats not the only place with a sub :lol: heres HMAS Otway , miles from the sea in Holbrook (Germantown before the First war ) New South Wales. post-13272-1174134347.jpg

post-13272-1174134395.jpg

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Mar 17 2007, 05:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Daft question, but - did they sail it there?

Phil, it arrived in the late 40's and I don't know if it arrived "under its own steam" or not. I do know about 20 years ago it was towed to nearby shipyards in Galveston for repairs.

I found a few more picture at this site:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/features/texas/texas2.htm

Ann

thats not the only place with a sub :lol: heres HMAS Otway , miles from the sea in Holbrook (Germantown before the First war ) New South Wales. post-13272-1174134347.jpg

post-13272-1174134395.jpg

It's a worry to see the Royal Australian Navy have a 'white flag' handy even on their retired vessels.

:)

Dave

• 3 months later...
Hi,

That's interesting to me, because my father served right alongside the Texas off Omaha beach on D-Day in the Royal Naval cruiser HMS Glasgow.

My father was also on the Glasgow when it bombarded Omaha beach.

He is still alive and recently was put in touch with the HMS Glasgow Association.

Small world :rolleyes:

My father was also on the Glasgow when it bombarded Omaha beach.

He is still alive and recently was put in touch with the HMS Glasgow Association.

Small world :rolleyes:

louvain,

thanks for the response. I will PM you on this matter.

LST_164