Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Send a Christmas card to Smiler Marshall !

ianw

"Smiler" appreciated his birthday cards from members of this Forum (104th I think! ).

It occurs to me that some of you might want to send him a Christmas card. If so please send them to him at my address :-

3 Howard Close

Leatherhead

Surrey KT22 8PH United Kingdom

It will be my distinct pleasure to deliver them - I'm reticent about posting his address on a public forum. Hope you all understand.

Ah, but Ian, knowing my 'kissing' reputation with Arthur Halestrap, will you kiss Smiler for me?

I'd love to hear what Smiler would say if you try it!

Cynthia

Ian,

Mine posted today. Thanks for your offer.

Roy

what regiment was he in?

Trench - If I remember correctly he was in the Essex Yeomanry and later the MGC, between 1915 & 1918. Then again, I could be wrong, I just can't remember....too much whisky :rolleyes:

Lee,

I think you are right but he has been described as an "hussar", but some people use that term for almost anyone on a horse ! He was certainly in the MGC as he was taken a few years ago to fire a Vickers again and was able to demonstrate the various "tap" techniques to spread the fire to his instructor ! Firing a Vickers is obviously like riding a bike ( although a bit more dangerous for people in front of you !).

Thanks David. The pleasure is all mine - being able to go and see Smiler always cheers me up wonderfully. Very small numbers of people are twice as old as me anymore !