Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 15.03.07

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to their Debt of Honour database today – Thursday 15th March.

Staff Nurse Nellie SAW

R40618 Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service

Died 17.03.19 Age 29

Buried: Albany Public Cemetery (Old), WA, Australia

Pte D. SILDIN

6939 38th/40th Bn, Royal Fusiliers

Died 30.10.18

Commemoration: Jerusalem Memorial, Israel

Senior Engineer J.P. STEELE

Admiralty Civilian

Died 29.01.17

Commemoration: Faslane Cemetery, Dunbartonshire, UK

Pte Mark STRANGMAN

1864 Australian Imperial Force

Died 19.11.18

Buried: Fremantle Cemetery, WA, Australia

NOT FORGOTTEN

J.P.Steele is an interesting case which I put forward in 2004.

He was one of six civilians employed by the Fairfield Shipbuilding Co who sailed with H.M.Submarine K.13 on trials and which sank during the voyage in Gareloch. There were dramatic escape attempts by the crew and one of the submarine’s officers was awarded the Albert Medal in Gold.

Five Fairfield men were recovered and buried in Faslane and were accorded war grave status by the Admiralty and CWGC. However, Steele was never recovered and for some reason was never recognised as qualifying for commemoration.

A private memorial was raised amongst the men’s graves in the cemetery bearing the names of all the lost men including that of Steele.

See http://www.andart.co.uk/swm3/swm3pic11.html

I queried the omission of his name and his case was taken up by CWGC. The private memorial erected at the time is now regarded as his official commemoration by CWGC.

The private memorial erected at the time is now regarded as his official commemoration by CWGC.

That seems most fitting, Terry.

NOT FORGOTTEN

Come on Sandra (Fedelmar) two more for you to visit. Wouldn't mind a photo of his grave in "Freo" if you can get it.

Honorary Sandgroper

In from the cold at last. May they Rest In Peace.

Remembered With Honour.

Terry, Pals.

I have asked my Son, an ex Submariner, who lives in Rosneath opposite Faslane Naval Base, to photograph the Commemoration stone to J.P. Steele. I will post later if you are interested to see it.

Terry W.

Come on Sandra (Fedelmar) two more for you to visit. Wouldn't mind a photo of his grave in "Freo" if you can get it.

Honorary Sandgroper

Hi Peter

Mark Strangman has no headstone or plaque. The only thing to say it's his grave is a plot number at the foot of the grave.

Hopefully this can now be rectified.

Pte Strangman belonged to the 16th Battalion and served on Gallipoli. While on Gallipoli he contracted dysentry after 6 months there and was evacuated to Lemnos. He was also found to be suffering from enteritis & on 27th of December a Tubere was found on his lung. During this time he was still suffering from dysentry.

He rejoined the 16th Battalion in March 1916 and departed with them for France but was soon sent sick to hospital in France with TB in June 1916 and was later transferred to the 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital in France.

It was also found that he was suffering from a heart problem, it looks like it's written as 'valvular discare of the Heart (Aorta)' and the doctor wrote that 'There is no evidence of any affection of the heart prior to enlistment'

Prior to being sent back to Australia he went before a medical board and it found that he was permanently unfit for both active & home service & he had total incapicity.

He was sent back to Australia from Southampton in August 1916.

He was discharged from the AIF on 17/01/1917

Regards

Andrew

Well there is another one that I was successful with ... not too bad out of 12 :)

From the letter from OAWG dated October 17th 2006:

"Mark Strangeman Service No 1864

This veteran may be eligible for official commemoration. His case will be investigated further and if considered war dead, a case prepared for Commonwealth War Graves Commission for acceptance as such."

Its interesting that he was 'missed' and he didn't have a headstone because he is in a whole row of War Graves.

Peter ... as soon as there is a headstone on there I will take it for you. Mind you ... from what we know they are rather slow at putting them up.

The others are munitions workers mostly so I suspect that there will be some trouble getting these done although the first four were applied for in January last year and they are reluctant to accept! Seems as though I have to do the research because they can't find records!

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Peter :)

Nellie Saw was the other application I was successful with. Pics were already on there way to Matt :)

I sent Matt all the ones that I had taken for Fremantle ages ago and I have just sent him the 27 that were removed from Karrakatta that I got replaced last year.

Bright Blessings

Sandra