Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tommies trying to rescue a wounded buddy

Dan Morton

A friend has asked me to do a 3 figure vignette for him. It is based on a very poor quality photo. 3 Tommies are in a mud hole - the Somme, Paeschendaele - probably 1916 from the uniforms and equipment. The wounded Tommie is helmet-less and up to his waist in mud. His two buddies are trying to pull him out using two leather rifle slings under his armpits - one on either end of a canvas-wrapped SMLE. Each buddy has one end of the SMLE on his shoulder and they are both lifting with all their might. I believe all three are wearing reversed sheepskin jerkins with fur showing. That's all I can see in the photo.

Does anybody have a clear version of this photo? Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

All the best,

Dan

Actually it's difficult to tell! The image is of such poor quality! It could be an illustration.

All the best,

Dan

Too bad, Owen! Fortunately Roger Newsome believes he has it and will send it to me.

All the best,

Dan

The illustration Dan is referring to is in the book "Eye Deep In Hell" just in case anyone is still looking yes I do have it :D .

Roger