Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Open invitation to all GWF members

lionboxer

On behalf of the Parish Council and as one half of the team from our local history group involved with the researching of the men on our village war memorial, I would like to extend an open invitation to all members of the Great War Forum to the re-dedication ceremony of the Bergh Apton War Memorial on Friday 25th May 2007 at 18.30. (The reason for these timings is that replicates as near as possible the original dedication on Friday 28th May 1920 at 19.30)

I would like to thank those Forumer's who have helped in the past with various queries regarding our men already commemorated and with the other sixteen (ten WW1, six WW2) with connections with the village that for some reason or another were not recorded. These ommisions have now been rectified with permission from the PC and PCC and the new names will be carved on the recently cleaned and restored memorial in April.

We are hoping for a large turnout and have made contact with many families of these new men who are all most enthusiastic with this project. The Standards and representatives of the regiments of these men will be present and VIP's (Brass) have also been invited. It could be standing room only!! Please PM me for further details of location and proceedings.

Lionboxer

PS Visitors from outside Norfolk will be made most welcome on the provision that they return home afterwards!!

What about returning exiles?

It's on my calendar. Please remind me a few days before though because I'm useless. If you can prepare a press release I'll supply you the photo's - might bring a mate from Rockland with his camera too 9that way I can go round there for dinner afterwards!!!!)

Well done to you all.

What about returning exiles?

Obviously we'll have to check your "crudentials"!! as there will be a piquet on all border crossings into Norfolk.

Lionboxer

Well I will have to stay with my mother in law in sunny Suffolk

Chris

Hmm. A grey area. I'm in Suffolk - Lowestoft - but am a Norik bor from Haddiscoe. I am hoping to annex Lowestoft as it is definitaly in Norfolk really, along with Oulton Broad.

• 2 months later...

I thought I would just bring this to the top for a "heads up". The ceremony is going ahead on this Friday as planned and will prove to be quite a unique event. Two hundred people or thereabouts are expected to come with many of the families of those commemorated being represented. The Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk will unveil the newly re-furbished memorial and the Bishop of Thetford will officiate. Many ex-servicemen's associations and their Standards will be there together with the Kings Standard of the Royal Norfolk Veterans Association. This Standard takes precendance over all others including the RBL. Please let me know if you would like to come. Space is at a real premium!!

Lionboxer

Cracking. A really good tribute to these men and a very well organised and attended memorial. I am deeply impressed. I'll post a bunch of pics some time in the next couple of days, but until then well done.

PS - my wife was at Gilly's open evening Chris, apparently she's the neighbour of you or the other organiser. Small world really.

WOW!!! Yes, that was one helluva do. I've still not come down. This is my first chance to get to the GWF having had guests staying and all the clearing up after the event. I'll try and post again tonight as I must get to work, back to reality after an amazing weekend. Thanks for coming Mark to help make the event it was. Looking forward to the photos.

Lionboxer

Glad that it all went well, well done everyone.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get a chance to do this before I went away, but I found this a very deeply moving tribute to the Bergh Apton war dead of both wars.

Plus I really enjoyed meeting Chris and Mark.

Steve

Steve,

Many thanks for coming. I'm still a bit shell shocked by it all hence my failure to put some photos on the forum as yet. Mark Crame has put some of his photos on in another topic. We are still receiving positive feedback and thankyou letters from those that attended. People are still coming up to me to say they saw my ugly mug on the television!!

We are now planing a village magazine "full colour special" of the event. But the research goes on and on and on and on and on............!!

Lionboxer

Congrats guys,

Sounds like you had a great day and are still up in the clouds!!!

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. I've finally sussed how to do this reducing business (I think!!) Photos courtesey of Messers Harry Johnson & Tony Davy.

post-1364-1182978368.jpg