Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

deciphering Navy Service Record

clarkc_bpo

Hi

I'd love some help deciphering a navy service record - some handwriting I cannot make out. There is a word in brackets after entries for 'Victory X' and 'Wallington' on my great-uncle's navy service record but I cannot see how to get the image into this posting so that other may help ! Any ideas how to do that. The record is a .pdf file from the National Archives.

I know the Victory entries refer to the Portsmouth barracks, and Wallington is either a shore-establishement or the HMT of that name, and someone on the forum a while back suggested that if there are brackets after the shore establishment it refers to a ship. Any ideas on how I can show it so someone may help with this ?

regards

Clark.

Hi Clark

I hope I can make things clearer about trawler/base: if the service record you have is a RN document the assumption is always that a ship was His Majesty's Ship, if it wasn't (for example it was a trawler) then the distinction was made.

Between Oct 1916 and May 1919 HMS (WALLINGTON was an Auxiliary Patrol Base at Immingham and also the depot ship for the 7th Destroyer Flotilla. The base/ depot ship supplied the admin support for the vessels too small to do their own and provided men to re supply and maintain the vessels in the patrol or Flottila.

His Majesty’s Trawler WALLINGTON, hired as BDV (Boom Defence Vessel), was one of the vessels operating from the base.

Victory X is one of the Portsmouth accounting sections.

If the names appear on their own, then a rating served on the base, but if there is a name in brackets, then that is the vessel he actually served on.

All the best

Per Mare

From what I have read in other posts, if you have Adobe 7 you can convert a pdf file to a jpeg, which you can then crop and post.

From what I have read in other posts, if you have Adobe 7 you can convert a pdf file to a jpeg, which you can then crop and post.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to convert and post it here in this weekend.

The record says stuff like "Wallington (unknown word in brackets) then dates, and Victory X (same word in brackets) and dates. The word in brackets is the same one for his entire war service.

regards

Clark

To convert a .pdf file into another format.

I think that you should be able to do the following. Go to My Computer, Explore etc. etc. to get to the saved .pdf file and double-click on it to open it in Acrobat.

Then go to File, Save as, and save the file as a .jpg or .bmp. You can then play around with the file by cropping etc. until it is less than 100 kB (the limit imposed by the Great War Forum) and then post it as an attachment.

If you're still having trouble, send me a PM, we can exchange e-mail addresses, and then you can send the file to me and I can play around with it. I have Acrobet Professional, which enables me to create .pdf files as well as read them.

Noel