Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boatswains` Whistles/Calls/Pipes

PhilB

I`ve seen several types of boatswain`s whistle. Some have Ordnance arrows, some don`t and the shapes of the bowl and positioning of arrows vary. Were there standard types for various times?

I`ve never seen a maker`s mark, only Made in England. Who made them? Hudson? Phil B

• 1 month later...

I have one in my collection that came with a WW2 group and

the only mark on it is "Made in England" , i am no expert but

it looks like any other B/Whistle i have seen.

Best Wishes

Colin B)

Bosuns whistles have changed very little over the centuries.

They still exist, but aren't used now as they used to be.

Now they are mainly used for ceremonial purposes in 'piping' officers on board or over the side. For this reason they all play on the same note. They are also used to draw attention to a broadcast that is about to be made (these are known as pipes, for obvious reasons). In WW+ they would have had a lot of uses for signalling different jobs to be done, assmebling men, etc.

It's a long time ago now that I was involved with this sort of thing, but they used to be quite expensivedue to the need for them to play to a precise note. I seem to remmber that it was/is a firm in the Midlands that makes them.

I don't remember whether they had an arrow on them or not. I suspect that it would have depended on just how they were being bought at the particular moment. If they were being bought as a part of a contract for inter-service musical instruments, they may well have had an arrow, but a direct contract by he RN would not specify this and it might well depend on he whim of the man on the production line.

There are plenty around with no marks, but the usual ones are these.

Unless you have a date then its impossible to tell if its WW1 or WW2, there are no other distinguishing marks. I have never seen a dated one. if i did then i think i might be suspicious. and as for attributing them to ships or individuals, remember that bloke who soles shoes in the shopping centre will also engrave anything you want on anything you want.

Mick

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Apr 20 2007, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you make of these then, all arrow marked? :huh: Phil B

Different contract, perhaps different supplier, but all play the same note. As far as I am aware the note it plays hasn't changed in a couple of centuries at least.

Which one a quartermaster (or other CPO) was issued with would depend on what was in store. And, believe me, the last thing the store would do would be to have a look at the marks.

Boatswain's whistle, one in number. Like it or leave it.

I think they are all genuine. still no dates though.

Mick

When I was in the RAN as a Bosun I was issued with a fairly sub-standard Bosuns Call. The notes were always off. I had a friend who was working with the RN Sea Cadets at the time and had heard that the RN had pretty top notch bosuns call. I have no idea which company makes the calls for the RN today but they are very good quality and I was told it was the same company that made them in ww2.

mike

When I was in the RAN as a Bosun I was issued with a fairly sub-standard Bosuns Call. The notes were always off. I had a friend who was working with the RN Sea Cadets at the time and had heard that the RN had pretty top notch bosuns call. I have no idea which company makes the calls for the RN today but they are very good quality and I was told it was the same company that made them in ww2.

mike

And very expensive they are. A pain to be in carge of as no one wants to waste money buying too many and yet enough have to be bought to make it worth the while of the company that makes them.