Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal red cross award

welshdoc

I was wondering if like most honours when a nurse was awarded her RRC award if she had to return the ARRC medal if previously won? gareth

I understood that the RRC was awarded to nurses from the UK, whereas ARRC medals were awarded to overseas, possibly colonial, nurses, so nobody would have got both!

The Australian, NZ & Fiji nurses I know of received the ARRC

I could be wrong though!

Christine

Christine

I have a UK nurse awarded the ARRC.

Dave

An ARRC or associate medal was the second class award. If given A second award this would be the RRC and is the case I beleive for all nurses british or from overseas. A RRC could be awarded directly for particularly good service. it was though most common to be first awarded the ARRC. hence my query as to if a nurse had to return her ARRC on promotion to the higher award.

A second award could also be in the form of a bar to the ARRC, not sure on the return rule but i've never seen a group with both awards

I was under the impression than a second ARRC award was an automatic RRC, the bar being for any subsequent award of the RRC. It would appear that the two awards are not worn together but the questions of return of the ARRC remains.

The structure is ARRC, RRC and Bar to the RRC. There is no bar to the ARRC. Any promotion would be to RRC.

The home region of the recipient was not of importance. It depended on the degree of responsibility held. VADs mostly received ARRCs. The regular and Reserve nurses would have ARRCs unless they were of Sister in Charge or Matron status when it would be RRC.

Only 100 bars to the RRC were ever issued. It was not normal to return the ARRC when promoted.

NGG

Thanks NNG I think that about sums it all up nicely. I would guess though that the ARRC was consigned to a drawer and not worn again.