Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ersatz products

Simon R

I understand that German ersatz products numbered some 11, 000 by the end of the war.

If this is the case then there are remarkably few references to ersatz products on the forum and if they do exist, they are often lost in other threads and often unsupported by references.

This might be the place to begin offering book refs. or examples that might help widen knowledge of the range of substitute items (not just bayonets) during the First World War.

Any takers?

I cannot think of a specific book that deals with ersatz equipment but many other items are notable - especially those made of leather being substituted by pressed fibre/cardboard etc. I guess for all the main combatant nations ersatz as a way of manufacturing became a necessity not just in materials but in methods of construction and design. For example German ammo pouches, backpacks, mess tins, helmet liners not to mention uniforms, ordnance, firearms etc...

Schreiner, G. A. 1918 'The Iron Ration: Three Years in Warring Central Europe' Harper & Bros., New York - is apparently good on ersatz but I have not seen a copy.

Just to add a couple of books that clearly show (in pictures and text) the evolution and simplification of uniforms and field equipment:

Field Equipment of the Infantry 1914-1945 (Robert Fisch)

and:

World War 1 Infantry in Colour Photographs (Laurent Mirouze).

For example the 1918 German Infantryman may have been issued with vulcanised fibre ammo pouches, the simplified M1915 Bluse, a simplified breadbag, enamelled iron mug and flask with recycled cloth cover (fascinating to collect these), trousers containing nettle fibres (!) etc etc...

...and ersatz coffee made of acorns, bread containing sawdust, etc, etc. If nothing else, ersatz products show the adaptability of the German nation - and they had to do it all again 20odd years later!

Dave