Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Here dead we lie, A E HOUSEMAN

Soren

OK, this is the scenario, I'm feeling really really ill, ( weel ok it's a hang-over ) so what do I do? start doodling the war.......

I'm not sure if that 900 g jar of pickled Gherkins from the 99p shop woz a good idea?

post-4474-1173696714.jpg

Why does my doodling never look this good?

must be eating the wrong gherkins :lol:

Andy

Why does my doodling never look this good?

must be eating the wrong gherkins :lol:

Andy

Don't know about gherkins, but from personal experience pickled eggs are never a good idea however much you've drunk!! :blink::lol:

Love the image tho Soren!

cheers

Steve

Ok, more Tin-tin than Turner: German stormtrooper

hang-over update, I have progressed to licking moisture off the inside of my livingroom window, I might venture to the kebab house when they open, thats if the street furniture does not scare me too much

post-4474-1173708203.jpg

I like the drawings - but suggest you stick to the 1KG piccalilli next time.

The after effects are equally as violent but much shorter in duration!

Could have been worse, could have been pickled jalapenos .... be careful in that kebab shop .... :lol:

Soren, your style reminds me a bit of Edward Ardizzone, in your use of cross-hatching and the way figures are sort of suggested. His illustrations were in a lot of children's books when I was a kid, but I just found out he was a war artist as well.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/upload/package/9/ardizzone/ardizz.htm

http://uk.geocities.com/nick_ardizzone/Tedweb/index.htm

Love the colour you have added, Soren.

Best feed after a bout on the booze, egg and bacon sanga with BBQ sauce.

Great hangover cure.

Cheers

kim

You can just feel the sombreness of the Stretcher bearers

Regards

Andy

Soren

I am a great admirer of your work and I like you foray into colour and tonal washes the houseman drawing at the the top of the thread is a delight. However, I think your handwriting spoils it a bit. I mean its perfectly nice handwriting and much more legible than anything I can manage but because it is clearly your normal handwriting it spoils the illustration a bit in my view. I used to do similar effects of inserting text into artworkand spent a huge amount of time perfecting my calligraphy skills, the investment was worthwhile. I also marked off the area with liquid masking tape to give a clean surround to the text area.

Nowadays I will more often than not scan an image and add text electronically and produce a qualityprint rather than risk the original artwork.

Hello GB,

I think that you are correct in a way; there was a time when I attempted to find a 'typewriter' font for MS word, just to give the feel of a wartime report.

However this proved far too difficult for me to get my head round as I'm a technophobe terrified of computers

Hello GB,

I think that you are correct in a way; there was a time when I attempted to find a 'typewriter' font for MS word, just to give the feel of a wartime report.

However this proved far too difficult for me to get my head round as I'm a technophobe terrified of computers

A typewriter font with all the smudges an uneven impresses! oh that would be great!

A nice font you could use for period handwriting effect is Edwardian Script ITC whic comes standard with Microsoft Office. If you choose a font colour that matches the tonal value of your artwork you dont get the strark contrast you get from using black font.