Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Albert Percy Rapson

Rory Reynolds

Hello everyone.

My maternal grandfather, Albert Percy Rapson, enrolled in the R.F.C. as a Cadet , no. 757, on 16 May 1917; after a stint with the South African forces in German East Africa. From what I can ascertain he underwent flying training at Winchester and at the Central Flying School. He seems to have spent time in the Middle East (Cairo) attached to 41 T.D.S. and was then attached to 32 Squadron. (Any info on these units would be appreciated.)

I have noted from other threads/posts that the RFC Communiques are quoted from. Could anyone with access to these please look up an incident which involved my grandad and which was quoted in a pictorial magazine in Durban, South Africa. I quote as follows:

"Lt. Rapson had a most fortunate escape from death lat year (1917). While flying a machine his engine broke down when he was at the great height of 6000 feet. He dived down for some 5000 feet before being able to see earth owing to the clouds. Eventually he tried to land his machine in a ploughed field, but the great rate at which the machine was travelling propelled it into a wire fence, and then into some trees. The machine was smashed to splinters, hardly leaving one whole piece of wood, but by some great fortune the young pilot was not even scratched."

Is there an official record of this incident? Could some of the officianados please shed some light on this and the other questions if possible. I would like to post a photo but am "technologically challenged" in this regard

Rory

Rory

32 Sqn were flying DH5 s in the second half of 1917. There's no mention of Lt Rapson in the index of the Communiques for 1917-18. The incident described might have been with 41 TDS.

Patrick

Dear Andrew

Would it be possible to provide more detail around the following units to which my grandad was attached?

- 2 Officer Cadet Wing -(I think it was at Winchester)

- School of Military Aeronautics at Oxford

- 58 Flying School

- 195 Flying School

- 3 School of Aeronautics

- 41 TDS

- 32 Squadron

They represent wherever my grandad saw service/ training and I would dearly love to know more about them including whether or not any of them saw action.

All help appreciated.

Rory