Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yours Sincerely E Lawrence

Mark Crame

Going through my Great Grandfathers stuff again, I noticed an inscription on the back of a photograph reading 'Yours sincerely E Lawrence'. The photograph is a studio of a 2nd Lieutenant with 2 medal ribbons. I'd never come up with anything before but have finally tracked him down (I think) via the MIC's.

My Great Grandfather was a 16th Lancer, and this Captain Lawrence was also a 16th Lancer. Both were Sergeants. Perhaps, Edward, you are now in from the cold and remembered.

Name: LAWRENCE, EDWARD

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 10th Bn. attd. 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 28/03/1918

Awards: MC, DCM

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 2 and 3.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Medal card of Lawrence, E

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lancers 302 Serjeant

Northumberland Fusiliers Acting Captain

Northumberland Fusiliers Captain

Medal card of Lawrence, E

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lancers 302 Serjeant

Mentioned in Dispatches - 8th October 1914

Military Medal - ?

Distinguished Conduct Medal - ?

I'd appreciate if somebody could please do me a lookup on SDGW, and anything else you might have to hand. CWGC and MIC's have been searched for the above, and some London Gazette. Anyone know how to find what you want on there?! What are the ribbons and buttons please, any ideas?

Back of the postcard reads: Riders Studio, 11 Jewry Street, Winchester in case it's relevant.

many thanks in advance,

mark

He's in ODGW, but this adds nothing to what you outline above, except 'killed in action'. ODGW does not record birthplace, enlistment or residence details.

Hello Mark

ODGW has him as Lt (A/Captn) in 10th Bn NF with no mention of attachment to 1st

Also has MC and DCM

There are also a couple of mentions of him in the Regimental History of the 1st and 2dn Bns which I will put in a separate posting.

Peter

Peter

Hello Mark

ODGW has him as Lt (A/Captn) in 10th Bn NF with no mention of attachment to 1st

Also has MC and DCM

There are also a couple of mentions of him in the Regimental History of the 1st and 2dn Bns which I will put in a separate posting.

Peter

Peter

Thanks a lot Punjab, that'd be a great help.

Thanks again Andrew, yu're a good bloke.

I still cannot find his DCM citation, either under Lawrence or Laurence.

Is it me or is it the London Gazette?

Noel

Mark

Some more on Edward Lawrence

The despatch of 8th October 1914, which covered the Aisne mentions a Serjeant E. Laurence (sic) of the 16th Lancers.

From Regimental History of 1st/2nd Bns 'The Fifth in The Great War'

p 198 This, then was the situation at the nightfall on 20th March, when the 9th Brigade was disposed as follows: the FIFTH were in occupation of the !st System. With "Y" Company (Captain Carrrick) and "Z" Company (Captain Chipper) holding the right and left of the front and support lines, and "W" (Lieutenant Allen) and "X"(Captain E Lawrence) in "Concrete Reserve; the 4/Royal Fusiliers………………………………..

p 206 (28th March) When the bombardment opened on the front line it was at first confined to the trenches of the 76th Infantry Brigade. But, spreading rapidly from left to right of the British line, it was not long before it reached "X" Company of the FIFTH, and almost immediately crashed on that of "W" Company. The fire of numerous trench mortars was included, and the infantry in the partially dug tenches of the front line could find scant protection from the bombardment, which continued with unabated fury for 1½ hours. Then, at 5.30 a.m., the German infantry, advancing in dense masses, delivered a determined attack. Opposite the 9th Brigade they were driven back with heavy loss by rifle and Lewis gun fire, butthey succeeded in penetrating the front of the 76th Brigade, immediately on the left of the FIFTH. The situation of "C" Company was now critical. Its commander, Captain Lawrence, and his second-in-command, Lieutenant Rose, had been killed and the casualties caused among other reanks by the bombardment had been terribly heavy………………..

P..211 Officers killed Captain E Lawrence M.C., D.C.M

p.213 So far as can be ascertained , the following officers were present with the 1st Battallion during the period 21-28th March :-

"X" Company

Captain E Lawrence (Commanding)

I could send you a scan of the whole chapter and relevant maps by PM or e-mail if you want, let me know.

Do you know when he transferred from the Lancers to the NF? If so let me know as I have the 1st Bn NF war diaries for 1914 to June 1916 and the regimental journals for 1914 to 1917 and could have a browse through those as well.

Peter

Yeah, I blanked on his DCM citation - I presume MC is like the MM as in no citation? Would be handy to find the date of the MC though. Isn't there a book on the DCM that lists them?

Did you search under both regiments? I don't know which unit he was with when he got them. Damned site is so good, but works so badly! Still, to be fair, it is searchable, available and free.

Peter - smashing stuff, thank you! No need to send maps/chapter, I have the action of his death now and that is more than I could have hoped for. Mind you, if you know the vicinity it would be very much appreciated. Anything you find in the diary/journals would also be great but no need to spend too much time on it (unless you want to of course!). Would you like the pic emailed over at a higher res for your own research?

Mind you, if you know the vicinity it would be very much appreciated. Anything you find in the diary/journals would also be great but no need to spend too much time on it (unless you want to of course!). Would you like the pic emailed over at a higher res for your own research?

Mark

In this action 'X' coy were about 2,000 yds east of Arras-Bapaume Road NE of St Martin

The picture yiou posted is fine for my purposes.

Will keep a watchful eye out for Lawrence in my trawls through war diary and regimental journals and will keep you posted

Peter

Mark

In this action 'X' coy were about 2,000 yds east of Arras-Bapaume Road NE of St Martin

The picture yiou posted is fine for my purposes.

Will keep a watchful eye out for Lawrence in my trawls through war diary and regimental journals and will keep you posted

Peter

Cheers Peter.

Now to track down them pesky medal citations!

Yeah, I blanked on his DCM citation - I presume MC is like the MM as in no citation? Would be handy to find the date of the MC though. Isn't there a book on the DCM that lists them?

Did you search under both regiments? I don't know which unit he was with when he got them. Damned site is so good, but works so badly! Still, to be fair, it is searchable, available and free.

Peter - smashing stuff, thank you! No need to send maps/chapter, I have the action of his death now and that is more than I could have hoped for. Mind you, if you know the vicinity it would be very much appreciated. Anything you find in the diary/journals would also be great but no need to spend too much time on it (unless you want to of course!). Would you like the pic emailed over at a higher res for your own research?

MC citations depend on the gazette issue. If it's a New Year or Birthday Honour then there won't be a citation. If it's any other time, there usually is a citation.

For both MC and DCM, where there is a citation there is also an annotated copy on file at Kew which details the date and place of the action, in WO 389 for the MC and WO 391 for the DCM.

I've posted the MC citation on another Topic:

Steve.

• 7 years later...
Guest Lawrence

I was very interested to find this thread whilst googling Captain Edward Lawrence for my son's school project. Captain Edward Lawrence is my husband's Great Uncle, and we have his medals on display in our home. It was very interesting reading, but it was sad that the photo had been removed from the thread. If you could somehow post the photo online again, that would be great!

Kind Regards, Mrs Julie Lawrence

Here he is. Great to find a family member to share this with!

post-9260-0-09204000-1399539513_thumb.jp