Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Charles Service Workman MC

espiegle

I have just acquired his Memorial Scroll and am looking for more info on him. His MC was gazetted 14 November 1916- "For conspicuous gallantry in action. He and his pilot dived down to a low altitude, attacked a train, causing many casualties and displayed great courage and determination."

Which squadron was he with at the time of the action and who was his pilot (presumably he got an MC as well).

He was killed in action on 20 July 1917 whilst flying with 70 Squadron- any info on the circumstances would be appreciated. He did fly as an observer with Noel Webb whilst serving in 25 Squadron in 1916 but I do not know when he transferred to 70.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew

Lt C S Workman (formerly with the Cameronians) was flying as observer in an FE 2b from No 25 Sqn RFC, flown by Lt Woolvern, when he bombed the train on 25 September 1916. Lt Workman was earlier mentioned in the RFC Communiqué for 1 September 1916 after he and Lt N W Webb attacked two German observation balloons.

On 17 July 1917, flying Sopwith Camel B3779 of No 70 Sqn RFC, Lt Workman left Liettres aerodrome on an Offensive Patrol at 1930. He was wounded and shot down east of Comines by Ltn d R Robert Tüxen of Jasta 6. Lt Workman was taken to a German hospital but died from his wounds on 20 July; he is buried in Courtrai, Belgium.

B3779 was Ltn Tüxen's first victory (he claimed a Sopwith Pup - the Camel would not have been well known at the time) and he was credited with a DH 4 on 28 July.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Gareth

Thank you very much for all the information. Would he have originally trained as a pilot or would he have had to qualify before joining 70 Squadron?

Regards

Andrew

Andrew

It was a common practice in the RFC on the Western Front in 1915-1917 for volunteers from the artillery, cavalry, infantry, etc, to be temporarily attached to squadrons to fly as observers, receiving on the job training. If the would-be flyer and aerial activities proved compatible, they would then be transferred to the RFC and, after a number of operational flights, be entitled to wear the single wing of an Observer. After a period of operations, observers who looked like being suited for pilot training were sent to the UK to go through a School of of Aeronautics, a Training Squadron and a School of Aerial Fighting before returning to the Front with the double wings of a Pilot on their tunic. In Lt Workman's case, it appears that after a period with No 25 Sqn as an observer, he undertook pilot training and then returned to France as a pilot and was posted to No 70 Sqn.

Later in the War observers were trained in the UK before being sent to the Front.

I hope that this helps,

Gareth

Thank you Gareth. I have just been up to the National Archives and found his papers there. There is a letter from the Red Cross confiming that he died of wounds on 20th July in German Field Hospital 160, he had been hit in the back and foot, peritonitis was given as cause of death.

Andrew