Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas Entertainment

Martyn Gibson

As we move closer to Christmas my thoughts have turned towards the troops who are still based overseas especially in Iraq at this present time. They have celebrity vistors and CSA shows etc.

I would be interested to know what the troops on the Western Front had over the festive period. Did they get a visit from their equivalent of a modern day Kylie or Justin.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Martyn

A good insight into what went on, especially Xmas 1914 is written in Stanley Weintrub's 'Silent Night'.

Plum puddings, cigars, drink, singing, trees & football....

Ryan

Martyn

Organised entertainment would normally be by the Divisional Concert Party. We had a thread about this some months back - you should find it using the search facility. They will have been in much demand during the Xmas period. The reference I have from the 17th Manchesters war diary is that the Concert party played on several nights - presumably allowing all companies to attend.

There would be music and comedy. Women's parts would be played by men, of course. Suitably attired. Give me Kylie any day (or Eddie Izzard, for that matter).

John

Martyn,

Professional entertainers visited the Western Front and beyond under the auspices of several organisations, principally the aptly named 'Concerts at the Front' run from offices in the West End, which gave almost unbroken service from February 1915 onwards, mainly in base depots and hospitals. As John said, the Divisional concert parties, which became ever more professional as the war progressed, also entertained, and indeed produced panotomimes such as Cinderella. But concert parties and entertainments were also organised by smaller units too, at least down to company level.

Divisional concert parties, ............ and indeed produced panotomimes such as Cinderella.

Oh, no they didnt.

Oh, yes, they did.

All together now.................

[and indeed produced panotomimes.... Oh, yes, they did.

All together now.................

Thankyou John for unwittingly giving me a plug!!

For the unititiated, I am giving a talk to Northamptonshire WFA on Thursday December 11th, on pantomime productions mounted by members of the Salonika army. It is called:

OH YES THEY DID!

and if you really have nothing better to do, you are all very welcome to attend. We may even find you a mince pie.

Though outside is drear and glum

To the Drill Hall you should come.

Take a seat, prop up the bar

Hear tell of panto in Salonika!

A good insight into what went on, especially Xmas 1914 is written in Stanley Weintrub's 'Silent Night'.

Plum puddings, cigars, drink, singing, trees & football....

Can I suggest that Pals steer clear of Stanley Weintraub and Silent Night - it's a poor excuse for a book on this subject.

If you want to read about Christmas 1914 try "Christmas Truce" by Shirley Seaton and Malcolm Brown in the Pan Grand Strategy series which is often to be found in remainder bookshops for around £3.

It's a superb read and says all that there is to be said on the subject. Highly recommended and a bargain addition to anyone's Christmas Stocking.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Martin & Langleybaston1418,

I managed to find a copy of the book you suggested and found it to be a very informative read. As you say anything by Malcom Brown could hardly fail to succeed.

Thankyou for the guidance towards this book

Best wishes for the new year

Martyn