Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hood Battalion

Rory Reynolds

I have the service record to a George William Gamble who joined the Hood Battalion on 17 September 1914.

He seems to have been there until 4 February 1915 when he was discharged to Chatham. There is also a comment as follows: "26.4.18 1914 Star Riband to O.C. HMS Abercrombie"

Could any of you kind souls tell me what this is all about please.

Regards

Rory

The ribbons were issued before the medals! 1914 Star issued 3 Dec 1921;Clasp to Star issued 8 Dec 1921.

Which service record have you got? RND

Name Gamble, George William

Service Number(s): CH/SS103012

Rank or Rating: 1st Stoker

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

RN

Name Gamble, George William

Official Number: SS103012

Place of Birth: Hornsey, London

Date of Birth: 26 December 1881

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Stoker George Gamble returned to sea service after his spell with the RND and his 1914 Star (medal) riband, awarded for his service with Hood Battalion at the Defence of Antwerp in October 1914, was sent to him when he was serving in the 14-inch gun monitor HMS ABERCROMBIE in 1918.

Hi Per Ardua

You come to the rescue yet again. I downloaded the record as follows (not good at posting images

Hi Per Ardua

I downloaded the record iro George William Gamble Ch/S.S.103012. Branch of service R.F.R. I'm no good at posting images so I'll try and list the details:

G.C. Badges 1

Next of Kin: Wife

Name: Kate Gamble

Address: Hazlebury Road, Wandsworth Bridge Road, Fulham S.W.6

Where serving: Joined Hood Battalion A/39

16.1.15 Hood Battalion.

4.2.15 To Chatham

15.12.16 Wrote 2nd Brigade Paymaster for official and disposal

20.12.16 Recd. reply: Discharged to Chatham 4.2.15

26.4.18 1914 Star Biband to O.C. HMS Abercrombie.

I've basically included whatever was on the papers I downloaded. They are very different to the normal "parchment" style where ships etc. are listed.

I suppose I have the RND service record. Would the other one you mention (RN) also be his? I have the LSGC RFR medal named to him.

lease advise

Rory

Sorry Horatio - I missed your reply. As per my question to Per Ardua - would this be the same person i.e. RND and RN ?

If so I probably need to download the other service record.

Rory

Rory

You need both - the one you are missing will be his entire RN service record (including his time in the RND). The one you have is his RND Record Card showing just his RND service until he was posted back to Chatham barracks and back to sea service.

H2

That is an admin copy his Royal Naval Division service card (see posts by Horatio for more details). They were a hostilities only index, hence the difference to what you are used to. The RND was reorganised over the winter 1914/15 and it looks like he was regarded at being more use at sea.

Official Numbers were unique accross all branches of the Navy so both records are his.

He was a Short Service (SS) stoker, he signed up for 5 years service and 7 years in reserve. He joined in 1906 so he probably served to 1911 and then was gathered up in the surplus reserves that went to the RND in 1914. His RN record will have his service on HMS Abercrombie and the rest of his ships. That will be the parchment type that you're used to.

The medal you have is for the Royal Fleet Reserve, which were naval reservists, He received it after 15 years service with Good Conduct in the RN & RFR. on this card he had one good conduct badge.